- AC Milan open negotiations with Atletico Madrid hoping to swap Fernando Torres for Alessio Cerci [Guardian]
- Funny! James Milner plays up to his boring reputation as Man City legend Chappy visits [Video]
- Clarke Carlisle is fighting for his life in hospital after being hit by a lorry
- Priceless! Kids are amazed when Iker Casillas competes against them for goalkeeping position! [Video]
- Juventus ultras talk about why they feel the need to get club tattoos [Copa 90 Video]
Leaked! Pictures emerge of Rafa Benitez’s tactical plans for Chelsea defeat to Corinthians
Brazilian website Globoesporte went snooping in Chelsea’s dressing room on Sunday, after their 1-0 Club World Cup final defeat to Corinthians in Yokohama’s Nissan Stadium.
Journalists of one of the most famous websites in Brazil entered the Chelsea changing room and filtered some of Rafa Benitez’s tactical sheets from the rubbish (see picture left), which will likely be fascinating for students of the game and those that take a keen interest in how the Spaniard sets his team up.
Benitez paid clear attention to Corinthians’ propensity to counter attack and provided detailed marking plans for his Chelsea side at set pieces.
Each Chelsea defender knew who he had to mark at corners and the pictures of the players on the tactical notes gives them somewhat of a surreal look.
Slightly curious, is the fact that Benitez abbreviated the name of the eventual match winner Paolo Guerrero to just “Guerro”.
There will also likely be much debate over Benitez’s use of “Lamps” for Frank Lampard, with the rest of the Chelsea side mentioned by surname, apart from David Luiz, whose first name is used.
Incredibly, this is not the first time Chelsea’s tactical plans have been leaked in the past year, with Andre Villas-Boas’ starting line-up revealed before the away match with Napoli in the Champions League last season.
All the pictures from inside Chelsea’s dressing room, found by Globoesporte, after defeat to Corinthians can be seen below.
- Updated: December 18, 2012