Italian TV prove Arturo Vidal was clipped in the box, perhaps it wasn’t a dirty dive?!
- October 24, 2013
Perhaps we were too quick to judge Juventus midfielder Arturo Vidal?
On Wednesday evening, in the aftermath of The Old Lady’s 2-1 defeat at Real Madrid, the viral clip of the night on Twitter, Facebook and Reddit was undoubtedly Arturo Vidal’s “dive” at the Bernabeu.
For our immediate verdict, see: Where’s the Sniper?! Juve’s Arturo Vidal manufactured the worst dive ever v Real Madrid, not even booked!
However, Italian TV looked at the incident closely, and it turns out that Vidal was clipped in the box as he burst through by Asier Illarramendi.
Quite why Vidal continued and then kicked the turf before diving to the ground is not immediately clear, had the Chilean gone down when he was touched by the Real Madrid midfielder, referee Manuel Grafe may well have decided on a spot kick.
This was a crucial decision in the context of the game. Vidal’s clip/dive came in the second half with Juve 2-1 down and chasing the game.
The incident also came with both Vidal and Illarramendi on bookings from first-half transgressions.
On reflection, perhaps no decision from referee Grafe was correct. When you look at the super slow mo zoomed in camera below – even technology makes this a very hard call.
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]