It was all a sham! Brendan Rodgers reveals there were no names in the envelopes!
“‘Which names were in the envelopes?’ I ask.
‘There were no names,’ he says with a wry chuckle. ‘There were no names.'” – New ESPN interview with Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers.
It was the moment of Being Liverpool, the television series about the Merseyside giants from Anfield.
Brendan Rodgers stood in front of a raptured Liverpool squad and in that familiar Northern Irish accent told them that “I think there’s three players who will let us down this year – the cause, the fight, everything. And I have written them down already.”
Rodgers continued: “Now my point to you as players – and staff – is make sure you are not the one in the envelope, because you are so important. If we are going to achieve, to be the best we can, we need to be together. But I think there’s three, maximum, who will let us down. Make sure you’re not the one.”
Ironically, Liverpool would go on to lose their opening game of the 2012/2013 season 3-0 at West Brom the very next day as at least three players did let their team mates and manager down.
Things look a lot brighter now, with Liverpool early title challengers, sitting in second place, two points off leaders Arsenal.
Brilliant psychology or one big sham?!
The Brendan Rodgers envelope clip is below…
Watch Live Stream
- “No Embarrassment” – Brendan Rodgers discusses Celtic’s 1-0 defeat to Lincoln Red Imps (Video)July 13, 2016
- Brendan Rodgers panned as Celtic beaten by semi-pro Gibraltarian club in UCL qualifier [Tweets]July 12, 2016
- New Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers: I turned down PL to manage one of biggest clubs in world (Video)May 23, 2016
- Celtic appoint ex-Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers as their new managerMay 20, 2016
- Jurgen Klopp chats to Gary Lineker about his philosophy, winter breaks and Dortmund days (Video)August 26, 2016
- Tottenham v Liverpool: Premier League preview, line-ups & predictionsAugust 26, 2016
- Phil Coutinho a major doubt for Tottenham v Liverpool [Liverpool Echo]August 26, 2016
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp admits that he doesn’t want to play Sturridge out wide (Video)August 25, 2016