- Brendan Rodgers beginning to doubt whether Mario Balotelli is technically good enough for Liverpool [Mail]
- Wenger on why Sanchez chose Arsenal over Liverpool: ‘Simple. Champions League continuity’ [Star]
- Man City boss Pellegrini: ‘All 3 strikers (Aguero, Dzeko, Jovetic) are out for Crystal Palace’ [Video]
- Divock Origi set to join up with Liverpool in Jan, Rodgers & co to pay Lille €6m extra [L'Equipe]
- Chelsea’s Oscar has ‘Family Fitness Day’ with his wife and sister…
DONE DEAL: Benfica sell long time Man United target Ezequiel Garay to Zenit for €15m
Former Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas has pulled off a transfer masterstroke on Wednesday.
Against the odds, Zenit St Petersburg have signed long time Man United target Ezequiel Garay.
Zenit will pay Benfica just €6m for Garay as they own only 40% of the player.
Others set to scoop money from the deal are Real Madrid, who owned 50% of Garay, and third parties, who owned 10% of the player. The total deal is said to be valued at €15m.
Many Man United fans will be stunned by the fact that Garay, the Argentine international centre-half, has chosen a move to Russia over a potential move to Old Trafford. Indeed, there was once a time when the Portuguese press were writing, as gospel, that Garay had signed for Man United.
Garay has left a message for the Benfica fans, saying: “I want to thank everyone at Benfica for three magnificent years and especially the fans for all the love they gave me”.
The player has agreed a five year deal with Zenit, and he’ll join the club after the World Cup.
- Updated: June 25, 2014