DONE DEAL: Benfica sell long time Man United target Ezequiel Garay to Zenit for €15m
Former Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas has pulled off a transfer masterstroke on Wednesday.
Against the odds, Zenit St Petersburg have signed long time Man United target Ezequiel Garay.
Zenit will pay Benfica just €6m for Garay as they own only 40% of the player.
Others set to scoop money from the deal are Real Madrid, who owned 50% of Garay, and third parties, who owned 10% of the player. The total deal is said to be valued at €15m.
Many Man United fans will be stunned by the fact that Garay, the Argentine international centre-half, has chosen a move to Russia over a potential move to Old Trafford. Indeed, there was once a time when the Portuguese press were writing, as gospel, that Garay had signed for Man United.
Garay has left a message for the Benfica fans, saying: “I want to thank everyone at Benfica for three magnificent years and especially the fans for all the love they gave me”.
The player has agreed a five year deal with Zenit, and he’ll join the club after the World Cup.
Watch Live Stream
- Portuguese pundits argue over Benfica like it’s Trump v Clinton at the Presidential debates (Video)October 20, 2016
- Manchester United sent scouts to watch Benfica starlet Goncalo Guedes [Mirror]October 4, 2016
- Benfica captain Luisão shows his leadership to the Youth with free-kick intervention (Video)October 3, 2016
- Man City boss Pep Guardiola went undercover to watch Benfica’s Alex GrimaldoSeptember 21, 2016
- Manchester United fans blame Daley Blind for role in Chelsea’s first goal [Tweets]October 23, 2016
- Best Tweets as Chelsea lead Man United 2-0 at Half-Time to spoil Jose Mourinho’s ReturnOctober 23, 2016
- No beef: Man United boss Jose Mourinho & Chelsea’s John Terry embrace at the BridgeOctober 23, 2016
- Sky Sports pundit drops Wayne Rooney & Juan Mata from Manchester United XI v Chelsea (Video)October 23, 2016
- Overhead camera hits Spartak player at Zenit (Video)October 5, 2016
- Zenit respond to Burger King name change offer with brilliant Game of Thrones tweetSeptember 2, 2016
- Zenit receive whopper offer from Burger King to change name to ‘Zenit Burger King’ [Best Tweets]September 2, 2016
- Juventus furious with Zenit after pulling £17m Axel Witsel transfer at last minuteSeptember 1, 2016