DONE DEAL: Benfica sell long time Man United target Ezequiel Garay to Zenit for €15m
- June 25, 2014
Former Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas has pulled off a transfer masterstroke on Wednesday.
Against the odds, Zenit St Petersburg have signed long time Man United target Ezequiel Garay.
Zenit will pay Benfica just €6m for Garay as they own only 40% of the player.
Others set to scoop money from the deal are Real Madrid, who owned 50% of Garay, and third parties, who owned 10% of the player. The total deal is said to be valued at €15m.
Many Man United fans will be stunned by the fact that Garay, the Argentine international centre-half, has chosen a move to Russia over a potential move to Old Trafford. Indeed, there was once a time when the Portuguese press were writing, as gospel, that Garay had signed for Man United.
Garay has left a message for the Benfica fans, saying: “I want to thank everyone at Benfica for three magnificent years and especially the fans for all the love they gave me”.
The player has agreed a five year deal with Zenit, and he’ll join the club after the World Cup.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...