Casillas refuses Ronaldo’s offer of the captain’s armband: Bizarre or touching?
- January 6, 2013
Two alpha males in the Real Madrid dressing room produced an interesting piece of footage during Real Madrid’s enthralling 4-3 win over Real Sociedad.
The big news pre kick off was the exclusion, for the second successive match (spread across the winter break), of Iker Casillas by Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho.
Spain’s number one was introduced on six minutes though as Adan received a straight red and Casillas replaced Jose Callejon.
As soon as he entered the pitch, Cristiano Ronaldo offered Casillas the captain’s armband which he was wearing despite being the fifth choice for the position according to AS, but the keeper immediately refused.
Casillas (1st choice) and Higuain (4th choice) were on the bench. Sergio Ramos (2nd choice) and Marcelo (3rd choice) missed out due to injury.
This was the first time Cristiano Ronaldo has captained Real Madrid in a competitive match. The Portuguese forward has previously lead out Los Blancos in a friendly against Kuwait in May 2012.
Video of the bizarre/touching moment between Iker Casillas and Cristiano Ronaldo is below.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi