- AC Milan open negotiations with Atletico Madrid hoping to swap Fernando Torres for Alessio Cerci [Guardian]
- Funny! James Milner plays up to his boring reputation as Man City legend Chappy visits [Video]
- Clarke Carlisle is fighting for his life in hospital after being hit by a lorry
- Priceless! Kids are amazed when Iker Casillas competes against them for goalkeeping position! [Video]
- Juventus ultras talk about why they feel the need to get club tattoos [Copa 90 Video]
Arsenal fans sing “You’re just a Dutch Jimmy Saville” to Robin van Persie pre Manchester United defeat
Robin van Persie presumably did not hear the songs from the Arsenal end pre the Gunners defeat at Old Trafford on Saturday otherwise you suspect the Dutchman may well have celebrated his early goal.
Videos have emerged from the Arsenal section before the 2-1 loss at Manchester United of the Gooners singing three derogatory songs at their former captain.
The now familiar refrain of “She said no Robin” and “Robin, you’re a c***” could be heard loud and clear from the majority of the Arsenal support and there were also chants of “You’re just a Dutch Jimmy Saville.”
“She said no Robin,” relating to an untrue rape allegation, has been heard at many Arsenal matches this season, particularly away from home – the Jimmy Saville chant appears to be new.
Van Persie said afterwards of his non-celebration after putting Manchester United one-up: “I spent eight happy years at Arsenal and I have too much respect. I respect the manager, the fans, the whole club.”
Rio Ferdinand probably summed it up best when he commented: “Robin showed his class there. Which is more than the Arsenal fans did.”
You suspect by the time van Persie has played at the Emirates on April 27, 2013 he will be well aware that the Arsenal supporters view him as a traitor of the highest order.
Videos of Arsenal fans singing the derogatory Robin van Persie songs are on the videos below. The first one is just the “Dutch Jimmy Saville” chant.
- Updated: November 4, 2012