Angel Di Maria pens farewell letter to Real Madrid fans after leaving for Man United
Around the same time as Angel Di Maria was announced as a Manchester United player, Marca published a letter from the Argentine to Real Madrid fans.
Having played a key role in a cup double last season, including “La Decima” it seems certain that Di Maria will be fondly remembered at the Bernabeu.
And, its not like he will be returning to play against Real Madrid this season for Manchester United…
A full English translation of the Di Maria letter to Real Madrid supporters is below.
“It was never my desire to leave”
My cycle at Real Madrid has come to an end. Is impossible to capture all I have lived through in a few lines, but I want this letter to communicate what I feel at this moment of parting. In these four years I had the honour to wear this shirt I feel nothing but pride for what I went through and achieved along with my team mates.
Unfortunately today I have to go, but I want to make clear that this was never my desire. As anyone who works, I’ve always wanted to progress. After winning “La Decima” I went to the World Cup with the hope of receiving a new contract, which never came. Many things and many lies were spoken. They always wanted to attribute the initiative to me to leave the club. The only thing I asked for is something that would be fair. There are many things that I value and many of them have nothing to do with my salary. I hope to progress at Manchester United, one of the biggest clubs in the world, where I wish to make history.
I’ve been lucky enough to share a dressing room with fantastic players, who have been even better companions. I think that was the key to La Decima. I want to apologise for the times I was wrong, on or off the pitch. It was never my intention to harm anyone. I sweated for this shirt in every game as if it was my last. There were times when things went for me and others not, but what I can say is that I always gave everything.
I want to thank Spain for everything you gave me and especially for allowing my daughter to be born on this earth. And to the very special people at Montepríncipe hospital, which I will always carry in my heart. My wife, daughter and I will be forever grateful. Also to my colleagues who always gave me their support, in good times and bad, to the various technical bodies that I got to work with and also to all the people who work every day at the club, with which I hope to keep a great relationship.
I hope that Real Madrid have a great season and secure this club the achievements they are always looking for. I take forever in my memory that time in the Supercopa [Spanish Super Cup final first leg] when I jumped at the Bernabeu and I received from the fans immense affection. Thank you. I have goose bumps yet cannot think of a better farewell for which unfortunately was my last game.
Hala Madrid! And until forever!
4/1 Arsenal to beat Besiktas!
EXCLUSIVE Odds: 4/1 Arsenal to beat Besiktas!
Arsenal take on Besiktas tonight in the second leg of their Champions League qualifier after drawing the first leg 0-0 and they are currently 2/5 to get the win – New Customer Exclusive.
Watch Live Stream
- Rumour: Man United old boy Angel di Maria may be heading to ChelseaSeptember 26, 2016
- Angel di Maria broke down in tears after Argentina’s win v Chile talking about his grandma (Video)June 7, 2016
- Lionel Messi made an amazing pass to Angel Di Maria in Argentina win (Video)May 28, 2016
- Benfica have sold an incredible XI of talent for €351m since 2010May 11, 2016
- ‘I need to protect him’: Jose Mourinho explains why Wayne Rooney may not start v Zorya (Video)September 28, 2016
- Wayne Rooney could sit out Europa League game and Sunday’s clash with Stoke [Sky Sports]September 28, 2016
- Jose Mourinho ‘feels sorry’ for Sam Allardyce after his dream job ended in disaster (Video)September 28, 2016
- Jesse Lingard plays down impact of Wayne Rooney’s absence (Video)September 28, 2016
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang thanks Cristiano Ronaldo for match shirt [Instagram]September 28, 2016
- Dortmund starlet Emre Mor thanks Cristiano Ronaldo on Instagram after UCL clashSeptember 28, 2016
- Isco’s reaction to Cristiano Ronaldo being substituted against Las Palmas was amazing (Video)September 28, 2016
- Real Madrid stars spotted discussing Keylor Navas’ error at half time of Dortmund match (video)September 28, 2016