Angel Di Maria pens farewell letter to Real Madrid fans after leaving for Man United
Around the same time as Angel Di Maria was announced as a Manchester United player, Marca published a letter from the Argentine to Real Madrid fans.
Having played a key role in a cup double last season, including “La Decima” it seems certain that Di Maria will be fondly remembered at the Bernabeu.
And, its not like he will be returning to play against Real Madrid this season for Manchester United…
A full English translation of the Di Maria letter to Real Madrid supporters is below.
“It was never my desire to leave”
My cycle at Real Madrid has come to an end. Is impossible to capture all I have lived through in a few lines, but I want this letter to communicate what I feel at this moment of parting. In these four years I had the honour to wear this shirt I feel nothing but pride for what I went through and achieved along with my team mates.
Unfortunately today I have to go, but I want to make clear that this was never my desire. As anyone who works, I’ve always wanted to progress. After winning “La Decima” I went to the World Cup with the hope of receiving a new contract, which never came. Many things and many lies were spoken. They always wanted to attribute the initiative to me to leave the club. The only thing I asked for is something that would be fair. There are many things that I value and many of them have nothing to do with my salary. I hope to progress at Manchester United, one of the biggest clubs in the world, where I wish to make history.
I’ve been lucky enough to share a dressing room with fantastic players, who have been even better companions. I think that was the key to La Decima. I want to apologise for the times I was wrong, on or off the pitch. It was never my intention to harm anyone. I sweated for this shirt in every game as if it was my last. There were times when things went for me and others not, but what I can say is that I always gave everything.
I want to thank Spain for everything you gave me and especially for allowing my daughter to be born on this earth. And to the very special people at Montepríncipe hospital, which I will always carry in my heart. My wife, daughter and I will be forever grateful. Also to my colleagues who always gave me their support, in good times and bad, to the various technical bodies that I got to work with and also to all the people who work every day at the club, with which I hope to keep a great relationship.
I hope that Real Madrid have a great season and secure this club the achievements they are always looking for. I take forever in my memory that time in the Supercopa [Spanish Super Cup final first leg] when I jumped at the Bernabeu and I received from the fans immense affection. Thank you. I have goose bumps yet cannot think of a better farewell for which unfortunately was my last game.
Hala Madrid! And until forever!
4/1 Arsenal to beat Besiktas!
EXCLUSIVE Odds: 4/1 Arsenal to beat Besiktas!
Arsenal take on Besiktas tonight in the second leg of their Champions League qualifier after drawing the first leg 0-0 and they are currently 2/5 to get the win – New Customer Exclusive.
Watch Live Stream
- Angel Di Maria’s dream 5-a-side team is awesome. No Man United players (video)October 11, 2016
- Rumour: Man United old boy Angel di Maria may be heading to ChelseaSeptember 26, 2016
- Angel di Maria broke down in tears after Argentina’s win v Chile talking about his grandma (Video)June 7, 2016
- Lionel Messi made an amazing pass to Angel Di Maria in Argentina win (Video)May 28, 2016
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic on his Man United goal droughtOctober 22, 2016
- Trolled: Man United’s Wayne Rooney calls out Liverpool old boy Michael Owen on TwitterOctober 22, 2016
- Jesse Lingard posts video from Man United’s train to Chelsea gameOctober 22, 2016
- Seems like Jose Mourinho has dropped two Man United stars for the Chelsea game [M.E.N]October 22, 2016
- Real Madrid discussed Paul Pogba deal with Mino Raiola in the summer [Marca]October 22, 2016
- Barcelona legend Eric Abidal says that Cristiano Ronaldo is a burden for Portugal [Grup 14]October 21, 2016
- Cristiano Ronaldo offends Buddhists on social mediaOctober 20, 2016
- Shocking footage emerges of clashes between Legia Ultras and Madrid police (Videos)October 19, 2016