A letter from Fergie to female physiotherapist in 1994 saying Man United players didn’t want to work with women
- May 20, 2014
A letter written by Sir Alex Ferguson in 1994 is suddenly getting attention in relation to Manchester United declining the application of a female physiotherapist.
The release of the letter comes at a time when sexism is a topic hotly up for debate after the FA’s Richard Scudamore was caught sending offensive private emails to colleagues.
The letter from Sir Alex went into detail about why the application from a female was specifically turned down because of her sex. It read:
The general thoughts of the players regarding a female physiotherapist was that they would prefer to be treated by a male physiotherapist, the would feel more comfortable and they felt it would be much easier to discuss their problems with another male.
Most of the players felt that football was very much a male sport, and did not really like the thought of females being involved with the treating of sports injuries within the training complex although they did not object if they had to see a female physiotherapist at a hospital or sports clinic.
Read the whole letter below.
- Legendary Man United boss Sir Alex Ferguson speaks about the virtues of discipline (Video)
- Real Madrid president Florentino Perez slams Man United over De Gea [Transcript & ...
- Man United playmaker Juan Mata scores quality goal in Spain training (video)
- Manchester United fan & World’s Fastest Man Usain Bolt takes the Dizzy Goals...
- Karel Poborsky scores lovely chip in Manchester United Legends win over Liverpool (Video)
- Banished and Numberless Victor Valdes thanks Manchester United fans for support on Twitter
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...