A Bayern Munich player agreed Adidas could terminate sponsorship deal if he joined Scientology [Der Spiegel]
- February 10, 2014
German daily Der Spiegel published a bizarre story last week that revealed that they had seen a sponsorship deal between an unnamed Bayern Munich player and Adidas in which the sports giant inserted a termination clause should the footballer join Scientology.
The contract was dated from 2008, and the Bayern star agreed to earn €400,000 from the Adidas deal.
Der Spiegel listed all the offences which could trigger an immediate cessation of the deal by Adidas, including if the player was caught taking drugs, or if they belonged “to any organisation or association which represents the principles of L. Ron Hubbard.”
When asked about that clause, Adidas replied: “Diversity and tolerance are fundamental values of the Adidas Group. Scientology and other such organisations are incompatible with this… This is a standard clause in our contracts. It’s not about individual athletes.”
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...