A Bayern Munich player agreed Adidas could terminate sponsorship deal if he joined Scientology [Der Spiegel]
- February 10, 2014
German daily Der Spiegel published a bizarre story last week that revealed that they had seen a sponsorship deal between an unnamed Bayern Munich player and Adidas in which the sports giant inserted a termination clause should the footballer join Scientology.
The contract was dated from 2008, and the Bayern star agreed to earn €400,000 from the Adidas deal.
Der Spiegel listed all the offences which could trigger an immediate cessation of the deal by Adidas, including if the player was caught taking drugs, or if they belonged “to any organisation or association which represents the principles of L. Ron Hubbard.”
When asked about that clause, Adidas replied: “Diversity and tolerance are fundamental values of the Adidas Group. Scientology and other such organisations are incompatible with this… This is a standard clause in our contracts. It’s not about individual athletes.”
- Chelsea attacker Oscar stars in life-size video game for new Adidas Predator boot advert
- A projected Messi scores a goal on the buildings of Barcelona in new Adidas ad [Video]
- New details emerge of Man United’s mega Adidas deal [BBC]
- Manchester United’s new Adidas kit deal is ENORMOUS compared to Europe’s bi...
- Adidas release excellent animated highlights montage to mark the end of the World Cup [...
- Manchester United & Adidas confirm kit deal worth £750m over 10 years!
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...