Ex-Man United & Arsenal defender Mikael Silvestre’s car-crash Portland debut v New York
- March 4, 2013
How does that cross get by Silvestre? How? This is the worst half of soccer I can remember from an MLS defender, maybe ever. Seriously.
— Matthew Doyle (@MLS_Analyst) March 4, 2013
Mikael Silvestre had an abysmal debut for the Portland Timbers on Sunday night in the MLS.
The climax of the maiden weekend of the MLS season saw Portland come back from 3-1 down at home against the New York Red Bulls to draw 3-3.
Fabien Espindola scored a brace for New York while Jamison Olave bagged the third all before the break, while the opening forty-five proved a disaster for Mikael Silvestre.
Now 35-years-old, Silvestre was directly responsible for the Red Bulls opening two goals. His contribution to the third was also pretty lousy.
The former Manchester United and Arsenal defender played a horrible back pass to keeper Donovan Ricketts which in turn gifted Espindola his opener after 9 minutes.
Midway through the half Espindola profitted from another awful Silvestre mistake as the defender mistimed a bounce on the astroturf surface which made him look like a muppet.
Silvestre was also unable to cut out a cross in the 27th minute as Olave added number three.
Watch Mikael Silvestre’s car-crash Portland debut showreel below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...