As per a report from Spanish outlet El Desmarque, Celta Vigo star Maxi Gomez is set to sign for Valencia imminently.
Gomez, a 22-year-old Uruguayan international, made the move to Europe from his home country in the summer of 2017, when Celta clinched the signing of the powerful hitman from Defensor Sporting.
And Gomez has since taken to the rigours of European football like a duck to water.
Across 70 La Liga appearances to this point, the youngster has notched an impressive 30 goals and 9 assists. This included a debut campaign haul of 17 league goals at the age of just 21.
Premier League links
As such, Gomez’s stellar form at the Balaídos has unsurprisingly not gone unnoticed across Europe.
West Ham United were heavily-linked with a move for the South American during the winter transfer window:
— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) January 25, 2019
Recent reports, meanwhile, have suggested that the Hammers have firmly reignited their pursuit of Gomez this summer.
Sky Sports claimed last month that the capital outfit had seen a £29 million (plus bonuses) offer accepted by Celta Vigo.
Crucially, however, Celta’s La Liga rivals Valencia were said to have had a similar bid accepted.
As such, the decision on Gomez’s next club was rumoured to have been left with the player himself:
West Ham and Valencia have both had bids of £29m bids (plus add ons) accepted by Celta Vigo for striker Maxi Gomez.
It is now up to the player to decide where he goes…
— Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) June 15, 2019
And, as per the aforementioned update courtesy of El Desmarque this afternoon, Gomez has come to a definitive decision regarding his next destination.
The Uruguayan is said to have opted for Valencia, despite his representatives having been pushing Gomez towards West Ham for financial reasons.
The 22-year-old contacted the Hammers earlier today to make them aware of his decision.
As such, Gomez’s Mestalla switch is expected to be made official over the coming days.
— Francisco Ortí 💯 (@franciscoorti) July 7, 2019