Diego Costa playing hardball with Chelsea
Diego Costa’s Chelsea future and likely move to Atletico Madrid continues to cast a shadow over the early weeks of the Blues season.
The Spanish striker (born in Brazil) was told by Chelsea boss Antonio Conte by text earlier this summer that he was not in his plans for 2016/2017.
From that point, Chelsea have been on the defensive and this has been exacerbated by Atletico Madrid’s transfer ban.
Costa wants to move back to Atletico Madrid but they cannot register the striker until January 2018.
Diego Costa linked with more English clubs
On Thursday, Costa has been linked with a move to clubs other than Atletico Madrid.
Ronald Koeman has suggested that Everton would be interested in a short term deal for Costa, which would come as a huge surprise.
Diego Costa releases statement on Chelsea future
Perhaps as a result of interest from other clubs, or the fact that Chelsea have recalled Costa to training, on Thursday the striker has made an announcement.
Diego Costa says he’s waiting for Chelsea to set him free.
He confirms that he not coming back to London. And has only one destination in mind – Atletico Madrid: “I must return to Atlético”.
Chelsea are currently paying Diego Costa £150,000 a week while he’s waiting for them to set him free, according to Sky Sport journalist Kaveh Solhekol.
The full Diego Costa statement on Chelsea future
Brazilian site Globoesporte produced the latest Diego Costa statement on his Chelsea future.
It comes via the Sergipana Football Federation.
“My destination is already set. I must return to Atletico Madrid next season. It turns out that there is an impasse that Chelsea does not want to release me. But I believe that this situation will be resolved now on my return to Spain.”
This leaves Chelsea in a very awkward position. Atletico remain in no rush to buy Costa and his price must be falling on a daily basis.