Parma confirm 2 players tested positive for Covid-19
Serie A side Parma have confirmed that two players in their squad have tested positive for Covid-19.
The identities of the players have been shielded from the media.
In a statement posted on the club’s website, Parma said:
At the end of the exams, all the members of the team group tested negative for the two swabs for Covid-19 performed within 24 hours, except for two players who tested positive for the first swab and negative for the second.
The athletes – both in excellent physical and asymptomatic conditions – were however placed in immediate isolation and the team will constantly monitor them.
Parma’s latest round of testing included around 60 people.
— Giovanni Capuano (@capuanogio) May 16, 2020
Parma’s positive tests come as Serie A sides allowed to start training
The timing of Parma’s announcement came hours after Serie A sides had been given the go-ahead to resume training by Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.
On Saturday, PM Conte said in a press conference:
From May 18 retail stores, hairdressers, beauticians, bars, restaurants, pubs, football teams’ training sessions and museums will start again.
⚠ BREAKING NEWS ⚠
Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte has given permission for Serie A teams to resume full squad training from May 18 💪 pic.twitter.com/YMdbGp3Gvt
— Goal (@goal) May 16, 2020
When will Serie A resume?
That’s still unknown, although football in Italy could restart on June 13.
Last Wednesday, all 20 Serie A teams sat on a conference call to discuss a possible restart date.
Following that meeting, the following statement was released:
As far as the resumption of sports activities is concerned, the date of June 13 for the resumption of the championship has been indicated … in accordance with medical protocols for the protection of players and all those involved.
FIGC monitor Lazio after illegal training accusations
Did Lazio hold three-a-side football matches at their training ground in violation of Italy’s social distancing rules last week?
Three days ago, Corriere della Sera claimed that Lazio had held some 3v3 matches in the town of Formello, which is close to Rome.
Lazio manager Simone Inzaghi was accused of overseeing those games.
However, Lazio has denied all the allegations. And, for the record, there were no images of the alleged training matches in the Corriere della Sera article.
Yet, in an update on Saturday, representatives of the FIGC (Italian FA) sprung a surprise visit to Lazio to check up on them.
Corriere della Sera report these inspectors were sent “to verify (Lazio’s) compliance with the protocols.”
Moreover, it was detailed that the inspectors also met with Lazio president Claudio Lotito to review the club’s protocols during the coronavirus pandemic.
This article was edited by Benjamin Newman.