Fake Leo Messi news?
In recent days, a list of 15 players, supposedly chosen by Leo Messi has done the rounds on the world wide web.
Said list was supposed to detail the “15 most promising players in the world” according to the Barcelona and Argentina superstar.
This list has been featured on plenty of websites in England due to the fact that Messi had allegedly chosen the likes of Chelsea pair Mason Mount and Christian Pulisic.
As well as Manchester City’s Phil Foden, Liverpool’s Trent Alexander Arnold and Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho.
There were no Argentines on the Messi list…
Messi was asked to name the most promising players in world football and there were a number of curious factors to the list.
The stand out was that Messi could not find an Argentine to include in his list of 15.
In addition, Messi also included players that are known the world over, including Joshua Kimmich – 25 years old of Bayern Munich.
As well as Benjamin Pavard – 24, also of the German champions.
The likes of Inter Milan’s Lautaro Martinez and Tottenham’s Giovani Lo Celso – both Argentina team mates of Messi and younger than Pavard – were probably wondering why they were not included.
O Globo delete their story on Messi’s 15 most promising players in world football
Just as the article was starting to do the rounds in Europe and beyond, O Globo have removed the list of 15 promising players from their website.
The O Globo article now brings up an error message, which looks like this:
O Globo have not confirmed that the interview was fake news. In these troubled times, perhaps they were duped or received fake information on the 15-player list.
Or, perhaps it was an early April Fools’ joke?!
So who didn’t Messi pick in his 15 player most promising list?!
The 15-player list that Leo Messi didn’t pick is below.
Remember, if you see another publication claim Messi is a big fan of this player in the future, well, he might be, but the O Globo article has been discredited.
And, whilst the quotes below are from O Globo’s original article (still live here on another website), these are NOT genuine quotes from Messi!
Surely the fact Messi included two Real Madrid players should have given it away!
1. Trent Alexander-Arnold, 21 years old (Liverpool/England) – “A runner who impresses for the future, he is the future”.
2. Christian Pulisic, 21 years old (Chelsea/United States) – “He has great balance and agility.”
3. Mason Mount, 21 years old (Chelsea/England) – “After watching him play, I saw that he has the potential to be one of the best.”
4. Phil Foden, 19 years old (Manchester City/England) – “He will do amazing things in football. He has great talent. ”
5. Jadon Sancho, 20 years old (Borussia Dortmund/England) – “His ability to outwit defenders is impressive.”
6. Luka Jovic, 22 years old (Real Madrid/Bosnia) – “A magical player who makes the impossible possible.”
7. Kai Havertz, 20 years old (Leverkusen/Germany) – “His posture in front of the goal is impressive for such a young player”
8. Eder Militao, 22 years old (Real Madrid/Brazil) – “A phenomenal talent and a fierce competitor”.
9. Ousmane Dembele, 22 years old (Barcelona/France) – “His rhythm is scary in training”.
10. Houssem Aouar, 21 years old (Lyon/France) – “He is always calm with the ball at his feet and has excellent technical quality”.
11. Frenkie de Jong, 22 years old (Barcelona/Netherlands) – “One of the most talented midfielders I have seen for his age.”
12. João Felix, 20 years old (Atlético de Madrid/Portugal) – “One of the most exciting young players in the world right now”.
13. Kylian Mbappe, 21 years old (PSG/France) – “He is fast and very dangerous.”
14. Joshua Kimmich, 25 years old (Bayern Munich/Germany) – “An extremely talented defender who offers so many assists.”
15. Benjamin Pavard, 24 years old (Bayern/France) – “An elegant defender with good ball control.”
This article was edited by Benjamin Newman.