As per a report from reliable Spanish journalist Gerard Romero, La Liga champions Barcelona have not secured a deal for wantaway PSG midfielder Adrien Rabiot.
PSG contract rebel
Speculation surrounding the future of gifted 23-year-old Rabiot has been rampant for some time now.
The Frenchman has refused to commit to a contract extension with boyhood club PSG, with his current deal at the Parc des Princes set to expire next summer.
As such, he will be free to sign a pre-contract agreement with another club next month.
Unsurprisingly, this fact has resulted in a whole host of European heavyweights expressing an interest in Rabiot’s services.
A free agent in June, PSG midfielder Adrien Rabiot (23) has received approaches from Manchester City, Arsenal, Juventus and Barcelona. The Rabiot camp have told his most determined suitors, Tottenham, that he is not interested in joining them. [Le 10 Sport] pic.twitter.com/jYLTQI11I2
— City Watch (@City_Watch) December 17, 2018
‘Will not sign a contract extension’
And the mounting speculation surrounding where exactly Rabiot is set to end up moved up a notch last night, when PSG sporting director Antero Henrique confirmed that the French international had directly informed the capital giants of his intention to depart the club at the end of the season:
PSG sporting director Antero Henrique: “Adrien Rabiot has told me that he will not sign a contract extension & that he wishes to leave the club at the end of the season, so once his current deal finishes. The consequences are very clear: he is indefinitely benched.” https://t.co/ELsNJuVwoa
— Jonathan Johnson (@Jon_LeGossip) December 17, 2018
‘No agreement with Barcelona’
Henrique’s revelation led to subsequent claims in France this evening that Rabiot had already given his word to La Liga champions Barcelona regarding a summer move to the Camp Nou.
However, the reliable Gerard Romero quickly moved to deny such reports, stating that ‘there is no agreement’ between Rabiot and Barca, before adding that ‘everything is quiet’ as things stand:
— Gerard Romero (@gerardromero) December 18, 2018
And Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo have since backed Romero’s claim, adding that Barcelona have absolutely no intention of moving for Rabiot next month:
Mi info es que el BARÇA NO VA FICHAR a RABIOT en este mercado de invierno.
No quiere pagar por un jugador que queda libre en junio.
No quiere que el PSG diga que el Barça le ha fichado un jugador suyo.
El centro del campo está bien cubierto ahora.https://t.co/HNdHjLoib7
— Marçal Lorente (@Marsallorente) December 18, 2018
MD also claim that the Blaugrana consider themselves to be fully covered in terms of options in the middle of the park as things stand.