An update on the future of Barcelona’s Nelson Semedo has emerged in the Spanish media on Saturday.
Semedo’s Barcelona stint
Nelson Semedo has been plying his trade in Spain for just shy of three years now.
The full-back made the move to Barcelona in July of 2017, when he departed Portuguese powerhouse Benfica for a fee believed to be around £32m.
Since joining Barca, Semedo has notched 111 appearances across all competitions, scoring one and assisting 10 in the process.
The 26-year-old is a right-back by trade, but he is also capable of playing on the left, a position in which he put in a handful of solid displays earlier this season.
View this post on Instagram
Semedo to Man City
Semedo, who has featured 29 times for the Catalan giants this season, is contracted to Barca until 2022.
Despite this, though, the full-back has been persistently linked with a move away from the Camp Nou in recent months.
The Telegraph reported back in April that Manchester City’s Joao Cancelo is wanted by the Blaugrana in a deal that would see Semedo move in the opposite direction.
Semedo has also been linked with Serie A giants Juventus, as part of a deal that could see Miralem Pjanic move to Spain.
Bayern Munich and Inter Milan have also, in recent days, been tipped as potential landing spots for the 14-time capped international.
If the latest speculation stemming from Spain is to be believed, though, then it is Man City who are leading the race for the defender’s signature.
According to Mundo Deportivo, as cited by Sport Witness, Semedo is ‘much closer’ to moving to the Etihad, with the player himself said to view signing for Pep Guardiola’s outfit as his current priority.
Sport Witness add that Joao Cancelo could, as previously reported by the Telegraph, indeed move in the opposite direction, with Guardiola said to be unconvinced by the ex-Juve star.
This article was edited by Conor Laird.