Alvaro Morata

Alvaro Morata confirms he ‘always wanted to stay at Chelsea’

Chelsea striker Alvaro Morata this morning revealed that neither he or Chelsea ever had any intention of parting ways this summer.

Difficult debut campaign

Morata made the move to Stamford Bridge from Real Madrid last summer, after being deemed surplus to requirements in the Spanish capital for the second time in his career.

Chelsea splashed out a rumoured club-record fee of around £60 million to secure Morata’s signature, but, as has since been heavily covered in the media, the 25-year-old’s time in London has been far from straightforward.

Despite racking up 15 goals and 6 assists across all competitions, Morata looked heavy-footed and frankly unfit for lengthy stretches over the course of the season, with Chelsea’s fans having made clear their frustrations regarding the performances of their big-money hitman on numerous occasions over the campaign’s last couple of months.

STOKE ON TRENT, ENGLAND – SEPTEMBER 23: Alvaro Morata of Chelsea celebrates scoring his sides third goal during the Premier League match between Stoke City and Chelsea at Bet365 Stadium on September 23, 2017 in Stoke on Trent, England. (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)

‘Several clubs interested’

As such, unsurprisingly, Morata has already been linked with a potential departure from Stamford Bridge, with reports stemming from Italy in April having gone so far as to suggest that the Spaniard had agreed personal terms over a return to Juventus.

However, such reports seemingly jumped the gun, with reliable Italian journalist Romeo Agresti having since revealed that Morata’s entourage were in fact set to hold meetings with several other top clubs towards the end of May:

Get notified!
About the best football betting tips from industry experts!
Thank you!

San Siro bound?

Morata since cast further doubt over his future when he revealed that he was unsure regarding where he would be plying his trade next season whilst on vacation, with an update courtesy of Italian journalist Alfredo Pedulla 3 weeks ago having revealed that the Spanish hitman could yet be set for a return to Serie A this summer, but with AC Milan, not Juventus:

Staying put

But, despite all signs having pointed towards an imminent exit from Stamford Bridge for Morata, the Spaniard himself has today confirmed that he will remain at Chelsea for the upcoming season.

Speaking in an interview with The Daily Mirror, the former Real Madrid man revealed that, despite the heavy rumours surrounding his future, he in fact never had any intention of departing London this summer:

‘On the first day of pre-season I spoke to [Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia] and with the manager and I said: ‘I want to stay at Chelsea.’

‘They told me: ‘We have a lot of confidence in you and we want you to stay too.’ So everything was perfect.’

‘All the people said I wanted to leave, that I was not happy in London but it’s not true. Now I have taken another house, a bigger one, near to Cobham.’

‘My wife is very happy. When everyone is talking about the possibility to leave I am here looking for a house. So the story is finished and I can’t wait for Sunday’s game.’

Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri makes transfer demand

Kristof Terreur update on Thibaut Courtois negotiations between Chelsea & Real Madrid