As per a number of reports across the English media this afternoon, Inter Milan have seen their latest offer for Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku knocked back.
Lukaku’s second season struggles
26-year-old hitman Lukaku made the move to Old Trafford in the summer of 2017, for a hefty £75 million fee.
However, following a solid debut campaign in Manchester, during which he notched an impressive 27 goals across all competitions, the Belgian subsequently struggled to replicate such form last season.
All told, Lukaku managed 15 goals for the Red Devils, though 6 of these came during a 3-game purple patch between the end of February and beginning of March.
In addition, crucially, the all-round centre-forward play of the former Chelsea man left a lot to be desired.
As such, Lukaku’s struggles have led to inevitable rumours that the Belgian could be on the move this summer.
In fact, James Ducker of the Telegraph claimed all the way back in April that the board at Old Trafford were ready to listen to offers for their burly hitman:
#MUFC are prepared to listen to offers for Lukaku, who is open to a move. Was put firmly in the shop window by his representative this month. A sale would depend on someone being able to stump up a huge fee and finance his £255,000 a week wages though https://t.co/qLHCuBZhge
— James Ducker (@TelegraphDucker) April 20, 2019
Of the clubs to have been named as potential summer destinations for Lukaku, meanwhile, Italian outfit Inter Milan have been the most heavily-linked.
Former Chelsea boss Antonio Conte replaced Luciano Spalletti on the bench at the San Siro in May.
And Conte is said to have identified Lukaku as a key summer target.
Mauro Icardi’s Inter future appears far from certain as things stand, with Lukaku viewed as an ideal replacement.
The Manchester United hitman himself, meanwhile, recently opened the door to a move to Serie A.
Speaking in an interview with Sky Italia’s Lords of Football, Lukaku explained:
‘Playing in Serie A is a dream. It would really be a dream.’
‘I hope to be able to play sooner or later. Even if at the moment I am focused on United.’
United stand firm
As per the aforementioned updates spreading across the English media this afternoon, though, neither Inter nor Lukaku appear any closer to having their respective hopes of a transfer come to fruition.
This comes after the Nerazzurri tabled their latest bid for the Belgian.
The proposal is said to have been worth £54 million (around 60 million euro).
However, the board at Old Trafford reportedly rebuffed the offer with little hesitation:
Manchester United have rejected £54m bid from Inter Milan for Romelu Lukaku. Time for Inter to move on. They’re trying to buy something they can’t afford
— Kaveh Solhekol (@SkyKaveh) July 20, 2019
Latest @Inter_en offer for Lukaku is €60m. Made a couple of days ago. Rejected.
— Simon Stone (@sistoney67) July 20, 2019
A report from the Telegraph last week, meanwhile, suggested that United could demand a hefty £90 million for Lukaku, a price-tag which Inter appear extremely unlikely to match.
As such, the very real possibility remains that the hitman could remain a Red Devils player into next season.