Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
On Wednesday night it seemed like it was a done deal.
Less than twenty four hours later, the saga is over.
Reports came out of Norway last night that Man United legend Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was set to become the new national team manager.
The story broke as Molde gave permission to Norway to speak to their current manager.
Solskjaer took over at Norwegian club Molde for the second time in his fledging career as a manager in October 2015.
Solskjaer was previously in charge of the club from 2011 until 2014, having been a player for Molde before he joined Man United back in 1996.
During his first spell at the club, the baby-faced assassin enjoyed a win ratio of 55.20%. Moreover, he won the Norwegian Premier League in back-to-back seasons in 2011 and 2012, plus the Norwegian Cup in 2013.
Solskjaer stays put
On Thursday, TV2 have scored an exclusive interview with Solskjaer in which he’s confirmed he’s not taking the Norway job.
Solskjaer said he has promised to be in Molde, and that he wants to keep his word:
I’ve told NFF about my status. We have come so far in the planning (at Molde), and I’m very focused on having a good season here in Molde.
In the conversations I’ve had with Røkke, Gjelsten and the club I have always said that I will be here. I stand by that. I like it here and have given my word that I’ll be here.
Solskjaer also said that he was flattered by the interest.
That leaves the NFF is a spot of bother, with no obvious candidate to fill the role. The Norway job is vacant following the departure of Stale Solbakken.