Ole Gunnar Solskjaer this morning provided a brief update on the situation surrounding Alexis Sanchez, as the attacker continues to be heavily linked with a move to Inter Milan.
Chilean international Sanchez of course made the move to Old Trafford in January of last year, on the back of a scintillating stint with Premier League rivals Arsenal.
To say that the 30-year-old’s time in Manchester has since proven disappointing, though, would be an understatement.
Sanchez has, simply put, failed to deliver in any way, shape or form in a Red Devils jersey.
All told, last season saw the experienced South American notch a paltry 2 goals across all competitions.
In addition, amid a visible dip in confidence, and persistent fitness problems, Sanchez managed just 9 Premier League starts.
As such, on the back of the encouraging early signs stemming from the partnership between Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford over the last couple of weeks, game-time is widely-expected to prove hard to come-by for Sanchez if he stays put at Old Trafford over the course of the coming campaign, too.
As a result, reports have begun to mount of late that Sanchez could yet be on the move this summer.
Though the English transfer window slammed shut two weeks ago, it remains open in the likes of Italy, Germany and Spain.
And this has long looked set to result in Sanchez imminently returning to the continent.
After snapping up one Manchester United attacker, in the form of Romelu Lukaku, already this summer, Serie A giants Inter Milan have, for several weeks, appeared to be on the verge of also luring Sanchez to the San Siro:
Confirmed: Inter are in talks with Man United for Alexis Sanchez. Loan until June 2020 + buy option for €15M. Part of the wage would be paid by Man Utd too. Alexis asked to the club and to Solskjaer to join Inter. Now it just depends by Man United decision. 🇨🇱 #MUFC #transfers
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) August 18, 2019
‘See in September’
The Chilean’s return to Italy had been viewed as a mere formality by most, with Sanchez having been widely-expected to have put pen-to-paper on a deal with Inter by this point.
However, evidently, a transfer is yet to come to fruition.
This comes amid claims that the Nerazzurri and United are yet to come to a full agreement on the terms of a deal.
As such, speaking in a press conference ahead of his side’s clash with Crystal Palace tomorrow afternoon, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was this morning asked for an update on Sanchez’s situation.
And the Norwegian tactician went on to explain:
‘There are still talks with some clubs.’
‘But he played in that game [behind closed doors versus Sheffield United] and he played well. As I have said he is working well.’
‘Let’s see in September what is going to happen.’
— Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) August 23, 2019