As per a report from German outlet Express, Leroy Sane’s move from Manchester City to Bayern Munich is now imminent.
Rumours linking Bundesliga champions Bayern with a swoop for Sane have been rampant this summer.
On the back of a somewhat hit-and-miss campaign at the Etihad, during which explosive wide-man Sane often found himself behind the likes of Raheem Sterling and Bernardo Silva in the attacking pecking order of Pep Guardiola, the 23-year-old has been hotly-tipped to make a return to his home country.
The respective Bayern departures of both Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery, meanwhile, have seen reinforcements out wide emerge as an absolute must for the Bavarian powerhouse ahead of the new campaign.
As such, Sane, on the back of a challenging season, and with past experience of the Bundesliga, appears an ideal fit at the Allianz Arena.
Unsurprisingly, however, Manchester City do not appear ready to give up the German international without a fight.
On his day, Sane still stands as one of the most electric wingers in European football, with Citizens’ boss Guardiola having confirmed last month that the Premier League champions remain hopeful of tying the former Schalke man down to a new deal:
‘We want him to stay and there is an offer waiting to talk with his agents to extend his contract.’
‘He is a guy who I appreciate a lot. I like him a lot. I think he has an incredible gap to be better in terms of being connected in the game.’
‘I have said two or three times that we want him and we want him to stay.’
‘On the home straight’
As such, it came as something of a surprise earlier this week when outlets across the German media suggested that a deal to send Sane to Bavaria was inching towards completion:
Bayern Munich still have to negotiate a final fee with Manchester City, but Leroy Sane has agreed to move, according to Bild. Negotiations over the fee may take another few days, and the total fee plus wage package is expected to be €200m. #FCBayern #MCFC
— Ronan Murphy (@swearimnotpaul) August 1, 2019
And, though Bayern themselves moved to firmly knock back such claims on Thursday, the latest updates stemming from Germany this afternoon insist that the Man City star is in fact set for a return to his home country.
As per a report from Express, an agreement between the Citizens and Bayern over Sane has been in place for 3 months.
The hold-up in developments came as a result of negotiations between the player and the Bundesliga giants.
Crucially, however, a breakthrough is now said to have been made.
Sane has reportedly agreed to a contract worth a hefty 15 million Euro-per-year (presumably before tax).
As such, the transfer is now labelled as being ‘on the home straight’, with the winger expected to be presented as a new Bayern player by Wednesday at the latest.