As per a report from Antonio Vitiello, negotiations between Chelsea and AC Milan over Cesc Fabregas are progressing well.
31-year-old midfielder Fabregas is of course most fondly-remembered for his time with Arsenal.
The Spaniard spent 8 years with the Gunners from 2003 to 2011.
He eventually went on to appear over 300 times in the club’s colours, cementing himself as a legend in the eyes of the Arsenal faithful in the process.
Fabregas departed the Emirates 7 years ago, though, when Barcelona, where he had previously come up through the club’s youth ranks, coaxed the creative midfielder back to the club for £30 million.
However, a difficult stint for Fabregas back at the Camp Nou, during which he was often booed by the Blaugrana’s supporters, eventually saw the 110-time capped La Roja international make a return to England, with Chelsea.
And Fabregas’ time back in London has since been a rather up-and-down affair.
Following a hugely-impressive debut campaign at Stamford Bridge, during which he racked up 3 goals and a whopping 18 assists in the league, Fabregas’ game-time has begun to suffer over the last couple of seasons.
All told, the last two campaigns have seen the Spaniard manage 38 Premier League starts combined.
AC Milan links
However, Fabregas is yet to start a league game under new manager Maurizio Sarri this season.
The Italian tactician hand-picked Blues’ summer signing Jorginho from former club Napoli during the summer, with the Italian international having since slotted seamlessly into the base of the club’s midfield.
As such, with the likes of N’Golo Kante, Mateo Kovacic and the rejuvenated Ross Barkley also to contend with for a place in Chelsea’s midfield, Fabregas has inevitably been linked with a Stamford Bridge exit of late.
Sleeping Serie A giants AC Milan have been the club most persistently touted as a potential destination for the Spaniard, with Fabregas’ contract situation (his current Chelsea deal is set to expire next summer) likely to see a number of sides look into a potential cut-price January deal.
San Siro bound?
And, as per the aforementioned update from Antonio Vitiello, negotiations between Milan, Chelsea and Fabregas’ lawyers are well underway.
The Rossoneri are said to have offered up a 2-and-a-half-year deal to the Spaniard.
And while some distance remains between the parties, there is widespread optimism regarding the possibility of a deal being found:
Oggi nuovi contatti tra #Milan e avvocati di #Fabregas, la trattativa prosegue. Si ragiona su un contratto di due anni e mezzo, le parti sono ancora distanti ma ci sarebbe la volontà di fare l’operazione @milannewsit
— Antonio Vitiello (@AntoVitiello) December 3, 2018