The Telegraph tonight published a massive story claiming Chelsea recently paid off a former youth team player who came forward with allegations about the former chief scout Eddie Heath.
According to The Telegraph, Eddie Heath, who was chief scout for more than a decade and is now deceased, allegedly sexually assaulted the Chelsea youth team player in the 1970s.
The alleged victim was paid off by Chelsea in the last three years after threatening to go public with claims he was sexually assaulted by Eddie Heath.
A source told The Telegraph: “He [the alleged victim] thought there were more [victims] but it was never publicised and the case settled. These were very serious offences.”
The payment was reportedly made on the condition that the victim, his family and lawyers would be banned from talking about the abuse.
It is understood the club initially rebuffed the claim, but decided to make a payment when the victim threatened to make the allegations public.
Read the exclusive over on The Telegraph.
Chelsea release statement
In an official statement published on Chelsea’s website earlier on Tuesday night, the club said:
“Chelsea Football Club has retained an external law firm to carry out an investigation concerning an individual employed by the club in the 1970s, who is now deceased.
“The club has also contacted the FA to ensure that all possible assistance is provided as part of their wider investigation. This will include providing the FA with any relevant information arising out of the club’s investigation.
“While the club’s investigation is ongoing, we will make no further comment on this matter.”