As per a report from the Mirror, Chelsea expect FIFA to reduce the club’s transfer ban from two windows to one, meaning they would be allowed to sign players following the turn of the year.
FIFA’s Chelsea case
Premier League giants Chelsea were officially hit with a 2-window transfer ban by FIFA late in February.
The FIFA Disciplinary Committee has sanctioned the English club Chelsea FC and The Football Association for breaches relating to the international transfer and registration of players under the age of 18. Read more on @FIFAcom ▶️ https://t.co/iTpcozM7Mz
— FIFA Media (@fifamedia) February 22, 2019
The news came on the back of a long-running investigation into Chelsea’s recent transfer dealings, with a particular emphasis on the arrival of players under the age of 18.
After opening their initial investigation early last year, FIFA quickly flagged 25 cases which they deemed to be worthy of ‘further scrutiny’.
World football’s governing body subsequently delved deeper into Chelsea’s dealings on the transfer market over recent years, with phase two of their inquiry having taken a close look at how the Blues have registered players in their academy system of late.
The capital giants were fully compliant with FIFA’s search, and opened their books with no hesitation.
However, after as many as 100 cases required further investigation on the part of FIFA, the organisation’s disciplinary committee entered discussions regarding a possible sanction, before confirming Chelsea’s transfer ban on the 22nd of February.
Figures via the Guardian.
Chelsea unsurprisingly took immediate action on the back of their sanction being made official, lodging an appeal with FIFA to have their ban frozen for 6 months, to ensure at least 1 transfer window during which they could secure reinforcements ahead of putting together a case to defend themselves.
Speaking in an interview with the Mirror, a FIFA spokesperson revealed:
‘We can confirm that FIFA has received an appeal from Chelsea FC over the said case.’
‘Any decision on the sanction remaining in place during the appeal process is to be taken by the chairman of the Fifa Appeal Committee.’
FIFA stand firm
But it was subsequently confirmed early in March that Chelsea’s request had been firmly rejected:
FIFA have denied Chelsea’s request to freeze their transfer ban while they appeal. It means that as things stand, the club won’t be able to register new players this summer. Full @ESPNFC story shortly #cfc
— Liam Twomey (@liam_twomey) March 8, 2019
Chelsea preparing for business
As such, the Londoners were banned from adding any players to new boss Frank Lampard’s squad this past summer.
The terms of their sanction, as things stand, though, mean that Chelsea will also be forced to sit out the January window.
But, as per the aforementioned report from the Mirror, there is optimism amongst the Stamford Bridge hierarchy that this will not prove the case.
The Blues are said to be supremely confident of their ban being reduced to a solitary window. This comes on the back of another appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
In fact, the Mirror’s report goes as far as to claim that Chelsea officials ‘have alerted leading agents that they expect to be back in transfer business in the January window.’