As per a report from the reliable Christian Falk of German outlet Bild, Bayern Munich have turned down the chance to appoint Arsene Wenger as Niko Kovac’s replacement.
Now-former Bayern boss Kovac was relieved of his duties last Sunday night.
On the back of a disappointing run of form, culminating in a 5-1 drubbing at the hands of Eintracht Frankfurt, the German champions announced across their social media platforms that they had decided to part ways with the Croatian tactician.
FC Bayern parts ways with Niko Kovac. pic.twitter.com/xl0sjaZAqC
— FC Bayern English (@FCBayernEN) November 3, 2019
Kovac’s stint in Bavaria spanned 18 months, and saw him secure the Bundesliga, DFB-Pokal and DFL-SuperCup titles.
As such, speculation over the last 96 hours has since been rampant regarding who is set to replace Kovac at the helm at the Allianz Arena.
The likes of Max Allegri, Ralf Rangnick and Thomas Tuchel have been touted as potential installments on the Bayern bench.
PSG boss Tuchel, though, ruled himself out of the running earlier this week:
Tuchel on reported Bayern Munich interest: “No, I am not interested as I am PSG coach. Last I checked, I am under contract this season & next.” #UCL
— Jonathan Johnson (@Jon_LeGossip) November 5, 2019
Another of the high-profile names linked with the position, meanwhile, has been that of Arsene Wenger.
In fact, just yesterday, it was widely-reported that the former Arsenal boss was the ‘absolute favourite’ to be handed the reins in Bavaria.
And, as outlined above, Bayern Munich reporter Christian Falk of the reliable Bild has today provided an update on the situation.
Wenger is said to have held a sit-down meeting with Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge yesterday.
When the face-to-face was said and done, however, Rummenigge was evidently left unimpressed.
This comes amid claims that Bayern have now come to the definitive decision to rule Wenger out as the club’s new manager:
— Christian Falk (@cfbayern) November 7, 2019