An expensive text!
Diego Costa’s comments after Spain’s 2-2 draw with Colombia on Wednesday night have opened up a huge can of worms regarding his Chelsea future.
The Spanish striker told the media that he had been told by Conte that he was not in his plans for next season.
As a result, there has been a steady leaking of information regarding the Chelsea striker and it looks like Diego Costa is heading back to Atletico Madrid.
“Good luck for next year, but…”
If the Spanish press are to be believed, Conte sent the following message:
“Hello Diego, I hope you are well. Thank you for the season we spent together. Good luck for next year, but you are not in my plans.”
Conte is clearly keen to have Romelu Lukaku as his front line striker next season as Chelsea defend their Premier League title and embark on a Champions League campaign.
Where next for Diego Costa?
After Costa’s revelation, AC Milan were linked with Costa but it seems unlikely that they have the cash to complete a deal for the Brazilian-born striker.
On Sunday, AS report that Atletico Madrid are increasingly confident of signing Costa this summer, despite their transfer ban.
And, it looks like Chelsea should have cashed in previously.
In January, they were offered 85 million euros for Costa by Chinese side Tianjin Quanjian. At the time, Chelsea were not willing to sell.
Atletico Madrid offered €60m last summer
Atletico’s interest in bringing Diego Costa back has been known for some time.
Last summer they offered 60 million euros. Now, Atletico believe they can sign Costa for 30 million euros.
On Wednesday, Costa had said publicly that he did not believe a move to Atletico was viable as he would miss 4-5 months of football.
Which in a World Cup year would be a risk.
But, Spain coach Julen Lopetegui has, according to AS, told Costa he will wait for him, if he does join Atletico Madrid and is only registered to play at the start of 2018.