VIDEO: West Ham sunk by Arsenal late show; Leeds revive the FA Cup with Man United giant-killing; Chelsea slap five past Watford; Draws in Old Firm & Edinburgh derbies

West Ham 1 – Arsenal 2 (FA Cup 3rd round, January 3, 2010) (Longer highlights here.) West Ham took the lead in first half injury time, Alessandro Diamanti beat the Arsenal offside trap to latch on to a Kovac through ball and the Italian prodded the ball past the onrushing Lukasz Fabianski and into the bottom right-hand corner. Early in the second half Arsene Wenger brought on Diaby and Nasri as he signalled to his charges to step up their game, and the message was answered in the 78th minute as a classic Gunner pass-pass-pass attack was finished off by Aaron Ramsey. The north Londoners took the advantage three minutes later, Eduardo da Silva beat Upson in the air to get on the end of a Vela cross and plant a stunning header in the top corner from about 12 yards out.

Manchester United 0 – Leeds 1 (FA Cup 3rd round, January 3, 2010) (Longer highlights here.) The FA Cup burst back into life after 18 minutes at Old Trafford when United fell behind to arch-rivals Leeds, Johnny Howson released a sublime 50-yard ball over the top that cut out Wes Brown and fell perfectly for serial-goalscorer Jermaine Beckford at the Whites striker calmly slipped the ball past Kuszczak. (First half highlights here.) United continued to woefully under-perform in the second half, and they were lucky not to fall further behind when Beckford dragged a shot narrowly wide and when Snodgrass cracked a free-kick against the post. Specific mention also has to be made for an unbelievably awful performance from Dimitar Berbatov who was virtually anonymous (yet again).

Mike Phelan’s post match interview, admitting the defeat as a “major blow,” can be heard here. Sir Alex Ferguson’s post match interview can be seen here.

Chelsea 5 – Watford 0 (FA Cup 3rd round, January 3, 2010) Daniel Sturridge started and finished the scoring as Chelsea produced a five-star showing against their Championship opponents. An own goal from John Eustace, a deflected effort from Florent Malouda and a thunderous finish from Frank Lampard were sandwiched in between Sturridge’s brace as Chelsea dominated from the start.

Tranmere 0 – Wolves 1 (FA Cup 3rd round, January 3, 2010) Wolves showed their Premier League superiority in the 77th minute, Nenad Milijas spotted a massive hole in the Scouse defence and weighed a perfect pass through to Matt Jarvis who slammed his shot past Luke Daniels from about 16 yards.

Sheffield United 1 – QPR 1 (FA Cup 3rd round, January 3, 2010) On loan Arsenal striker Jay Simpson fired QPR in front, Richard Creswell equalised to send the tie to a replay at Loftus Road.

Sheffield Wednesday 1 – Crystal Palace 2 (FA Cup 3rd round, January 2, 2010) Palace put their off-field troubles behind them to take a 19th-minute lead through Neil Danns. Although the Owls drew level thanks to Palace defender Clint Hill’s own goal just before half-time, Calvin Andrew booked the Londoners a place in the fourth round with a well-taken 68th minute winner.

Leicester 2 – Swansea 1 (FA Cup 3rd round, January 2, 2010) Dany N’Guessan’s powerful header in the 89th minute sent Leicester into the fourth round of the FA Cup with a victory against Swansea. The visitors took the lead through Dave Cotterill’s long-range drive but Andy King equalised late in the first half at the Walkers stadium.

Scunthorpe 1 – Barnsley 0 (FA Cup 3rd round, January 2, 2010) Scunthorpe reached the fourth round for the first time in six years courtesy of Paul Hayes’s second half strike, condemning Barnsley to their first defeat since Mark Robins took over as manager.

Plymouth 0 – Newcastle 0 (FA Cup 3rd round, January 2, 2010) Plymouth earned a long return trip to St James’ Park after holding a much-changed Newcastle side to a goalless draw at Home Park.

Torquay 0 – Brighton 1 (FA Cup 3rd round, January 2, 2010) It looked as if the match was heading for a replay until Brighton finally took the lead with an Andrew Crofts’ header in the 77th minute, which proved to be good enough to secure victory.

Preston 7 – Colchester 0 (FA Cup 3rd round, January 2, 2010) Preston were the day’s big scorers in the FA Cup third round as Jon Parkin’s hat-trick saw them rout Colchester 7-0. Goals from Chris Brown, Chris Sedgwick and Darren Carter together with an own goal from goalkeeper Ben Williams completed the scoring for managerless North End.

Millwall 1 – Derby 1 (FA Cup 3rd round, January 2, 2010) Millwall took the lead in the 49th minute through Lewis Grabban, but they could only remain in front for three minutes, Scottish international midfielder Kris Commons firing home the equaliser.

Huddersfield 0 – West Brom 2 (FA Cup 3rd round, January 2, 2010) Huddersfield were unbeaten in 14 home games this season and they held out until the 77th minute, when Graham Dorrans finally opened the scoring for Albion. As the Yorkshire side pressed for an equaliser, Albion killed off the tie, with Chris Wood putting them two ahead.


Hibernian 1 – Hearts 1 (SPL, January 3, 2010) Hibernian fell behind in the Edinburgh derby with Hearts on the stroke of halftime as young visiting striker Gordon Smith produced a fine volley to convert a left-wing cross. Third-placed Hibs needed under 10 second half minutes to equalise, David Wotherspoon skinned Marius Cinikas down the left and saw his floated cross headed home by Anthony Stokes at the back stick.

Celtic 1 – Rangers 1 (SPL, January 3, 2010) The Old Firm derby sprung into life in the final ten minutes of the match, the Bhoys striking first when Aiden McGeady jinked his way in from the right before floating a cross onto the head of Scott McDonald for the striker to steer the ball home. Rangers were almost immediately level though, as Lee McCulloch headed home Steven Davis’ corner in the 81st minute – which was Rangers’ first shot on target.


Osasuna 0 – Real Madrid 0 (La Liga, January 3, 2010) (Longer highlights here.) Real Madrid limped into 2010 as they escaped from Pamplona with a point against a gutsy Osasuna side. The hosts had the better of the chances in the first half while Higuain squandered Los Blancos best chance in the second 45.

Sporting Gijon 2 – Malaga 2 (La Liga, January 3, 2010) Duda gave the struggling visitors an early lead with a well-placed left footed shot after nine minutes. Sporting deservedly equalised on the stroke of halftime, Maldonado’s cross was met powerfully by Arnolin Gregory. Weligton then scored a scrambled strike to edge the Andalusians back ahead on the hour mark, but Sporting were not to be outdone and earned a point thanks to Roberto Canella’s opportunist effort twenty minutes from time.

Getafe 1 – Valladolid 0 (La Liga, January 3, 2010) Getafe made it five wins from their last six matches thanks to a late winner from Francisco Casquero which defeated Valladolid.

Almeria 1 – Xerez 0 (La Liga, January 3, 2010) In the 89th minute Jose Ortiz offered a worthy winner for Almeria, bending home a free-kick from the edge of the area and leaving Xerez with nothing to show for their efforts.

Mallorca 2 – Athletic Bilbao 0 (La Liga, January 3, 2010) After a forgettable first half, Julio Alvarez tried his luck from distance in the 49th minute and his shot looped up off the back of Athletic defender Fernando Amorebieta and over goalkeeper Gorka Iraizoz into the net. Aritz Aduriz doubled the home side’s lead on 65 minutes when he raced clear and chipped over the onrushing Iraizoz into the empty net.

Racing Santander 2 – Tenerife 0 (La Liga, January 3, 2010) Gonzalo Colsa opened the scoring in the 72nd minute and then Alexandre Geijo set up fellow substitute Xisco for the clincher shortly afterwards to move Racing up two places to 14th.

Zaragoza 0 – Deportivo La Coruna 0 (La Liga, January 3, 2010)


Benfica 1 – Nacional 0 (Taca de Portugal, January 3, 2010) Javier Saviola proved the match-winner for Benfica striking 11 minutes from time.

Sporting Lisbon 2 – Braga 1 (Taca de Portugal, January 3, 2010)

Vitoria Guimaraes 1 – Rio Ave 2 (Taca de Portugal, January 3, 2010)

Uniao Leiria 1 – Trofense 1 (Taca de Portugal, January 3, 2010)

Academica Coimbra 2 – Estoril 1 (Taca de Portugal, January 3, 2010)


Hapoel Raanana 2 – Hapoel Beer-Sheva 2 (Ligat ha’Al, January 2, 2010)