VIDEO: Ribery & Olic lead Bayern to a 2-1 victory over Manchester United; Lyon beat Bordeaux 3-1; St Johnstone fire four past Rangers

Bayern Munich 2 – Manchester United 1 (Champions League, March 30, 2010) (Sky Sports highlights and analysis here.) Bayern’s hopes took a nosedive inside the opening 70 seconds, Nani’s free-kick nicked off the head of a defender and Wayne Rooney, who lost Demichelis all-too-easily six yards out, sidefooted a clinical left-footed volley past Butt from six yards. (First half highlights here.) 15 minutes from time Bayern drew level, Neville handballed on the edge of the United box and Franck Ribery saw his free-kick deflect off Rooney and into the near post. Bayern cranked up the pressure in the final stages, and the Allianz Arena erupted in the 91st minute when Ivica Olic stole the ball off a stand-offish United defence and drilled a low shot past Van der Sar.

Wayne Rooney picked up what could be a serious ankle injury in the build-up to Bayern’s winner, and Rooney left the Allianz Arena on crutches. Alex Ferguson’s post match interview can be seen here.

Lyon 3 – Bordeaux 1 (Champions League, March 30, 2010) (Sky Sports highlights and analysis here.) A horrific mistake from the Bordeaux defender Sane in the 10th minute gifted Lyon the opener, the defender fluffing a header straight to Mathieu Bodmer who slammed the ball across goal where Lisandro Lopez was on hand to flick the ball in from six yards out. Les Girondins levelled within four minutes when Gourcuff tricked his way down the left wing before crossing over to Marouane Chamakh who got in between two defenders and headed the ball into the bottom corner. Bordeaux, who had only conceded three goals previous in the competition, fell 2-1 behind just after the half hour as Lisandro broke down the left hand side and stood a cross up to the far post where Michel Bastos controlled and smashed the ball past an exposed Carraso. In the 77th minute Lyon open up a 2-goal lead, Cissokho’s shot was blocked by the hand of Chalme in the box when the defender was sliding (harsh?) and Lisandro Lopez make no mistake from the spot.


St. Johnstone 4 – Rangers 1 (SPL, March 30, 2010) On-loan Celtic forward Cillian Sheridan put the hosts ahead with a superb strike and Chris Millar’s deflected shot doubled the lead. Sasa Papac reduced the deficit but Liam Craig’s header was diverted into the Rangers net by Lee McCulloch nine minutes before the break. (First half goals here.) Murray Davidson grabbed Saints’ fourth from close range on 79 minutes.


Hacken 4 – Trelleborg 2 (Allsvenskan, March 30, 2010) Two goals in two minutes from Bjurstrom and Chibuike put Hacken in control on the half hour, Paulinho and Karlsson adding further strikes in the second period.


Sanfrecce Hiroshima 1 – Adelaide United 0 (AFC Champions League, March 30, 2010) Champions League debutants Sanfrecce Hiroshima kept their qualification hopes alive as Japan striker Hisato Sato scored the only goal on the stroke of half-time to edge out Adelaide.

Bunyodkor 0 – Zob Ahan 1 (AFC Champions League, March 30, 2010) A shocking fumble from the home keeper allowed Mohammad-Reza Khalatbari to tap in the only goal of the game after 30 minutes. Rivaldo saw red for Bunyodkor midway through the second half.

Al Ahli 2 – Al-Hilal 3 (AFC Champions League, March 30, 2010) Yasser Al Qahtani headed home the first goal for the visitors in the 10th minute of the first half and Christian Wilhelmsson doubled the scoreline five minutes later. Ahmed Khalil and Cesar scored to pull Al Ahli level, before a stoppage-time strike from former Spurs defender Lee Young-pyo saw Al Hilal snatch a dramatic 3-2 win.

Persipura 1 – Kashima Antlers 3 (AFC Champions League, March 30, 2010) Kashima opened the scoring today after just one minute through Yasushi Endo. Yustinus Pae gave Persipura brief hope of an upset with a 19th minute equaliser, but Shinzo Korogi responded for Kashima seven minutes later. Atsuto Uchida sealed the win 11 minutes before the break as Kashima secured a fourth consecutive appearance in the knockout stage.

Jeonbuk FC 1 – Changchun Yatai 0 (AFC Champions League, March 30, 2010) Former Middlesbrough striker Lee Dong-gook skipped past two defenders outside the area before curling home a superb effort 10 minutes after the break.

Mes Kerman 3 – Al Sadd 1 (AFC Champions League, March 30, 2010) Eder Luciano, Ali Samareh and Paulo Zaltron were on the scoreboard for the Iranian side after Al Sadd had taken an early lead through Khalfan al-Khalfan.

Al-Ittihad 4 – Al-Wahda 0 (AFC Champions League, March 30, 2010) Saud Khariri scored twice either side of goals from Abdelmalik Ziaya and Sultan Al Numare in the first 32 minutes at the Prince Abdullah Al Faisal Stadium. Ziaya’s second was the pick of the goals after 19 minutes as the midfielder spectacularly found the net from 35-yards before Al Numare killed off the contest 13 minutes before the break with a clever overhead-kick inside the six-yard area.


Juan Aurich 0 – Estudiantes 2 (Copa Libertadores, March 30, 2010) Gaston Fernandez tapped home the opener from close range and Rodrigo Bana scored an incredible goal for the second. Bana lobbed the keeper from just inside the Juan Aurich half for one of the goals of the competition. Estudiantes moved top of Group 3 with the win.

Libertad 1 – Lanus 1 (Copa Libertadores, March 30, 2010) Adelbarto Roman headed Libterad into an early lead, a Maxi Velazquez cross was deflected in from the left for the equaliser.


Toluca 1 – Pachuca 1 (CONCACAF Champions League, March 30, 2010) Dario Cvitanich converted Paul Aguilar’s cross in the 35th minute for Pachuca, but Edgar Duenas’ header tied it in the 78th to leave the clubs all square ahead of the second leg. Toluca finished with nine men after red cards for Miguel Angel Almazan in the 79th minute and Diego Novaretti in the 82nd.


England 5 – Malta 0 (European U17 Championship qualifier, March 30, 2010) Arsenal midfielder Chuks Aneke opened the scoring on 19 minutes, and Manchester United’s William Keane made it 2-0 on the half hour with a crisp finish following some neat footwork. Two goals in a minute confirmed England’s dominance Aneke grabbed his second of the match and Benik Afobe made it four soon after, guiding Garbutt’s cross over the line at the near post. Aneke missed a penalty in the 64th minute, though Harry Kane did make amends from the spot converting England’s fifth goal on 72 minutes.