Spurs and Manchester United progress through to the Carling Cup semi-finals; City draw a blank with PSG

Watford 1 – Tottenham 2 (League Cup quarter-finals, December 2, 2008) (Longer ITV highlights here.) The Hornets shocked Spurs by taking the lead at Vicarage Road, Tamas Priskin turned well in the Tottenham box before unleashing a low left foot drive that beat Gomes into the corner. On the stroke of halftime Spurs drew level, Jermaine Jenas was brought down in the box (soft decision) and Roman Pavlyuchenko scored from the spot. In the second half Darren Bent netted his 12th goal of the season to put Tottenham in the lead, scuffing his shot in the near post, a shot the keeper should have saved.

Manchester United 5 – Blackburn 3 (League Cup quarter-finals, December 2, 2008) (Longer ITV highlights here.) Carlos Tevez fired United in front turning in Giggs’ free-kick after 34 minutes, and Blackburn fell further behind when Nani and Tevez combined for the Portuguese to double the lead four minutes later. After the break Benni McCarthy pulled a goal back for Rovers, but United restored their two goal advantage when Tevez scored from the spot. In the 53rd minute it was all over for Blackburn as United carved through their defence, Anderson teeing up Tevez for his hat-trick. Matt Derbyshire prodded home his second goal in as many games to make it 4-2, before McCarthy set up a nervous ending with his second of the game. But Carlos Tevez netted his fourth in injury time with a super half volley to end a glorious night for the Argentine.


AC Milan 1 – Lazio 2 (AET) (Coppa Italia, December 3, 2008) The game sparked into life when Milan lost Emerson in the 66th minute, but the hosts still took the lead with a wonderful solo goal from Andriy Shevchenko, who cut in from the right and shot into the far post. Lazio equalised three minutes from time when Zarate scored from the spot, and Goran Pandev tapped in the winner at the start of extra time.


Manchester City 0 – PSG 0 (UEFA Cup, December 3, 2008) An under-strength City played out a goalless draw with PSG in a relatively dull affair.

Udinese 2 – Dinamo Zagreb 1 (UEFA Cup, December 3, 2008) Fabio Quagliarella, wearing a face-mask, gave Udinese the lead inside five minutes against Dinamo Zagreb. The match was held up after Zagreb supporters started firing multiple flares, covering the field in smoke, while there were also reports that a Dinamo Zagreb fan fell from the top stand into the lower stand before being rushed to hospital. But when the game resumed Christian Obodo made sure of the win by getting on the end of Di Natale’s cross. Igor Biscan bundled home a late consolation for Dinamo.

Sevilla 3 – Partizan Belgrade 0 (UEFA Cup, December 3, 2008) Luis Fabiano broke the deadlock from the penalty spot in the 32nd minute. Sevilla needed less than a minute of the second period to double their lead thanks to Renato, who let fly from outside the box, with his shot from nestling in the bottom corner. And the win was wrapped up through Luis Fabiano, who bagged a brace.

Spartak Moscow 1 – NEC Nijmegen 2 (UEFA Cup, December 3, 2008) With NEC rooted to the foot of the table, Sergey Kovalchuk put Spartak Moscow ahead with a free header in the box after just two minutes. The Russians held onto their lead until the final minutes of the match when the Dutch side turned the match in incredible fashion. Jhon van Beukering found an equaliser in the 84th minute, before Lasse Schone hit a low winner from 20-yards three minutes later.

Twente 2 – Schalke 1 (UEFA Cup, December 3, 2008) From a free-kick, Schalke failed to clear their lines and Wielaert prodded Twente into the lead. In the second half Steve McClaren’s charges extended their lead as Perez collected the ball on the edge of the box, turned, and beat the keeper with a curling shot. George Asamoah pulled a goal back for the Germans.

Standard Liege 3 – Sampdoria 0 (UEFA Cup, December 3, 2008) After brilliant work from Milan Jovanovic down the left hand side, Igor De Camargo headed home at the back-post to put Standard Liege ahead of Sampdoria. Oguchi Onyewu doubled Standard’s with a storming header from a corner, before Samp conceded a third when Jovanovic was sent clear, finishing with a fine left foot strike.

Hertha Berlin 0 – Galatasaray 1 (UEFA Cup, December 3, 2008) Milan Baros continued his fine scoring form of late by scoing the only goal of the game from the penalty spot.

Metalist Kharkiv 1 – Olympiakos 0 (UEFA Cup, December 3, 2008) The Greeks went down to an 87th minute winner from Edmar.


Internacional 1 – Estudiantes 1 (Agg. 2-1) (Copa Sudamericana final second-leg, December 3, 2008) (Longer highlights here.) Internacional fell behind when Agustin Alayes scored for the Argentines midway through the second half before Nilmar scrambled the equaliser in the 115th minute to claim the cup for the Brazilians. Estudiantes’ frustration boiled over when Rodrigo Brana and Boselli were sent off in the last three minutes, the latter for kicking Andres D’Alessandro.