FA Cup quarter finals: Lampard & Terry ease Chelsea to win over Stoke; John Carew’s second half hat-trick sees Aston Villa past Reading

Chelsea 2 – Stoke 0 (FA Cup quarter-final, March 7, 2010) (Longer highlights here.) Frank Lampard opened the scoring ten minutes before the break with a deflected effort after Chelsea dominated the first half. John Terry confirmed the win with a header from a Lampard corner midway through the second half and celebrated in determined fashion. The joint interview with Lampard and Terry after the match can be seen here.

Reading 2 – Aston Villa 4 (FA Cup quarter-final, March 7, 2010) Aston Villa looked jaded and second best throughout the early stages at Reading, and the Royals set up a cupset in the 27th minute when Sigurdsson floated in a dangerous corner, Mills flicked the ball towards Shane Long at the far post and the Irishman nodded home from four yards out. Reading completed a brilliant first half adding a second in the 42nd minute, Jimmy Kebe (outstanding on the right wing) burst into the box and his cross was smartly turned home by Long for his brace. Ashley Young began the fightback two minutes into the second half, sidefooting home at the backpost. Four minutes later John Carew equalised from a Downing cross and the big Norwegian claimed the third in the 57th minute with a fine flick from a Warnock cross to complete the dramatic turnaround at the start of the second half. Carew completed his hat-trick and the victory with a penalty in the 90th minute.


Everton 5 – Hull 1 (Premier League, March 7, 2010) (MOTD highights here.) Mikel Arteta volleyed home at the back post to put Everton in front. Just before the half hour Yakubu missed a pen and a couple of minutes later Tom Cairney equalised with a quality left-footed hit. Arteta sidefooted Everton’s second after a Pienaar backheel to give the Toffees a half-time lead. In the second half Goodison witnessed a spanking, Richard Garcia scored a comical own goal, Landon Donovan rifled in the fourth and Jack Rodwell claimed the fifth.

Newcastle 6 – Barnsley 1 (Championship, March 6, 2010) The match at St James’ Park turned in Newcastle’s favour in the 44th minute when Barnsley goalkeeper Luke Steele was sent off for a foul on Peter Lovenkrands, who picked himself up to convert the penalty. Lovenkrands struck again three minutes into the second half and Danny Guthrie’s deflected effort increased Newcastle’s lead in the 50th minute. Jonas Gutierrez scored a superb solo effort in the 61st minute and celebrated by putting on a Spiderman mask hidden in his shorts. Guthrie made it 5-0 with a free-kick in the 69th minute before Kevin Nolan struck two minutes later as Newcastle claimed their biggest win of the season.  Daniel Bogdanovic’s 83rd minute goal was no consolation for Barnsley.


Falkirk 0 – Celtic 2 (SPL, March 7, 2010) Celtic, 13 points behind Rangers at the start of play, broke the deadlock at Falkirk in the 34th minute when Rasmussen hooked a pass onto Robbie Keane and the on-loan Spurs striker slid his shot past the Olejnik into the bottom corner. The Bhoys had Artur Boruc to thank for keeping their lead intact at the break as the Pole produced a superb reflex save to deny Ryan Flynn’s overhead-kick from a corner. Robbie Keane added his second and completed the scoring with 11 minutes to go.


Real Zaragoza 1 – Atletico Madrid 1 (La Liga, March 7, 2010) Former Chelsea and Celtic midfielder Jiri Jarosik headed the opener past De Gea on seven minutes. Atletico Madrid’s equaliser didn’t come until injury time of the second half, a header from Ibrahima Balde.

Athletic Bilbao 2 – Valladolid 0 (La Liga, March 7, 2010) Spanish striker Gaizka Toquero was the star of the show with a first half brace, the first a header from a corner and the second a tidy finish.

Malaga 2 – Xerez 4 (La Liga, March 7, 2010) Bottom side Xerez stunned Malaga scoring three late goals to secure a morale boosting victory. Momo put the away side in front from the penalty spot but goals from Duda and Valdo looked to have put Malaga in charge. Momo equalised when he saw another penalty pushed back to him and Leandro Aides Gioda and Fabian Orellana completed the scoring.

Mallorca 3 – Sporting Gijon 0 (La Liga, March 7, 2010) Goals from Julio Alvarez, Victor and Pierre Webo secured a comfortable win.

Osasuna 0 – Getafe 0 (La Liga, March 7, 2010) Both sides were denied by the woodwork at the Estadio El Sadar and were unable to find the winner to boost their chances of challenging for a European place. Getafe’s Roberto Soldado hit the post with a header on the hour mark and Javier Camunas rattled the bar for Osasuna 10 minutes later.

Espanyol 0 – Villarreal 0 (La Liga, March 7, 2010) Espanyol, who had the better chances, finished the game with 10 men after striker Jose Callejon was sent off for a second bookable offence in the closing stages.


Inter Milan 0 – Genoa 0 (Serie A, March 7, 2010) The Nerazzurri failed to extend their lead over AC Milan and hold their four point lead over their local rivals. Only in the second half did Inter really threaten.

Bologna 2 – Napoli 1 (Serie A, March 7, 2010) All three goals came in the first 14 minutes of the match. Marco Zalayeta and Adailton put Bologna two-up. Leandro Rinaudo halved the deficit for Napoli.

Bari 1 – Chievo 0 (Serie A, March 7, 2010) Veteran Argentinean striker Jose Castillo scored the only goal of the game in the twentieth minute. Massimo Donati missed a penalty in the second half for Bari.

Cagliari 2 – Catania 2 (Serie A, March 7, 2010) A cracking free-kick from Andrea Lazzarri gave Cagliari the lead in the ninth minute. Mascara equalised from the penalty spot on the half hour and Maxi Lopez rounded the keeper to give Catania the lead at the break. Despite the sending off of Michele Canini for two bookable offences, Andrea Cossu secured a point for the home side with 16 minutes to go.

Siena 1 – Parma 1 (Serie A, March 7, 2010) Biabiany headed Parma into the lead on 34, Simone Vergassolla equalised on 69.

Palermo 1 – Livorno 0 (Serie A, March 7, 2010) Fabrizio Miccoli fired a rocket into the bottom corner of the Livorno net with nine minutes to go.

Atalanta 0 – Udinese 0 (Serie A, March 7, 2010)


Nurnberg 3 – Bayer Leverkusen 2 (Bundesliga, March 7, 2010) (Longer highlights here.) Leverkusen failed to take advantage of Bayern Munich’s draw yesterday. The Bundesliga title challengers were undone at the end of the first half by a quick-fire brace from Eric Choupo-Moting. Mickael Tavares grabbed the third ten minutes into the second half which meant Leverkusen’s goals from Stefan Kiesslin and Patrick Helmes were consolations.

Hoffenheim 0 – Mainz 1 (Bundesliga, March 7, 2010) Aristide Bance ran from his own half on a quick breakaway to score the only goal of the game with twenty minutes left on the clock.


Bordeaux 1 – Montpellier 1 (Ligue 1, March 7, 2010) Montpellier missed two penalties in the first half. The first by Alberto Costa also saw Mickael Ciani sent off for Bordeaux and the second was taken by Victor Hugo Montano. Arsenal bound (?) striker Marouane Chamakh made Bordeaux pay for their profligacy with a powerful strike on the hour. In the 93rd minute Alberto Costa’s free-kick was poorly dealt with by Carrasso to leave the match all square.

Marseille 1 – Lorient 1 (Ligue 1, March 7, 2010) Mamadou Niang sidefooted OM into the lead but Laurent Koscielny equalised from close range.


RKC Waalwijk 0 – FC Twente 1 (Eredivisie, March 7, 2010) Steve McClaren’s side went two points clear at the top of the Eredivisie table thanks to this victory over the bottom side, secured by a Kenneth Perez header.

Sparta 0 – Ajax 3 (Eredivisie, March 7, 2010) Ajax established a 2-goal lead against Sparta in the first half, Siem de Jong opened for the Amsterdammers after 14 minutes when the youngster cracked in a beauty from the edge of the D. Gregory van der Wiel doubled Ajax’s lead when he lashed home an arrowed shot into the far left top corner after 34 minutes. Ajax wunderkid Christian Eriksen created the third with a superb run from midfield, the 18-year-old took on the Sparta backline before whipping a fine cross into Dennis Rommedahl who scored on the volley.

Roda 2 – Feyenoord 4 (Eredivisie, March 7, 2010) Feyenoord picked up their eighth away success of the Eredivisie season with a 4-2 victory over Roda JC in a game where both teams had a player sent off. Sekou Cisse (2), Luigi Bruins and Roy Makaay were on target for the visitors, with Jeanvion Matondo and Boldizsar Bodor replying for Roda.  The hosts were not helped by the 20th-minute dismissal of Ruud Vormer for a foul – but the numbers were evened up in the closing stages when Feyenoord’s Darley was also sent off.

FC Utrecht 1 – NEC 0 (Eredivisie, March 7, 2010) A goal from Ricky van Wolfswinkel five minutes from time secured a 1-0 win that took Utrecht up to seventh place in the table.

Groningen 1 – VVV Venlo 0 (Eredivisie, March 7, 2010) Groningen boosted their Europa League play-off hopes as Tim Matavz’s goal gave them a 1-0 victory at home to VVV Venlo. The Slovenian striker scored for the third Eredivisie game running to settle the contest in the 69th minute.


Benfica 3 – Pacos Ferreira 1 (Liga Sagres, March 7, 2010) Benfica went three points clear at the top of the Portuguese league. Ruben Amorim, Javier Saviola and Oscar Cardozo all scored for the hosts, while William Conceicao cut the deficit for Pacos Ferreira.

Belenenses 0 – Sporting Lisbon 4 (Liga Sagres, March 7, 2010) Liedson scored all four goals in a second half blitz. The first came on 50 minutes, the second ten minutes later. Liedson’s third was the best of the lot, a left footed shot into the corner after a neat turn and the fourth came at the death.


Rubin Kazan 1 – CSKA Moscow 0 (Russian Super Cup, March 7, 2010) Sought-after CSKA keeper Igor Akinfeev did his reputation no favours in the 35th minute of the Super Cup against reigning champs Rubin and the custodian screwed-up a clearance straight to striker Aleksandr Bukharov who gobbled up his opportunity with a powerful strike.


Charleroi 0 – Anderlecht 2 (Jupiler League, March 6, 2010) Anderlecht moved 12 points clear at the top of the Jupiler League with a 2-0 win at Charleroi. Goals from Matias Suarez (16) and Tom De Sutter (45) moved Anderlecht further clear of second-placed Club Brugge.


Fenerbahce 1 – Antalyaspor 0 (Super Lig, March 7, 2010) Brazilian Andre Santos scored the only goal of the game in the 33rd minute following a slick break away.


Panathinaikos 3 – Levadiakos 0 (Super Liga, March 7, 2010) Second half goals from Dimitris Salpigidis, Sebastian Leto and a penalty from serial goal scorer Djibril Cisse gave Panathinaikos the victory.

Iraklis 1 – Olympiakos 0 (Super Liga, March 7, 2010) A 6th minute penalty from Bogdan Mara, given away by Olof Mellberg, gave Iraklis a famous win.

Panionios 3 – Xanthi Skoda 0 (Super Liga, March 7, 2010)

Ergotelis 1 – Atromitis 1 (Super Liga, March 7, 2010)

Pas Giannina 1 – Astera Tripolis 0 (Super Liga, March 7, 2010)


Unirea Urziceni 2 – Steaua Bucharest 2 (Liga I, March 7, 2010)

Otelul Galati 1 – CFR Cluj 0 (Liga I, March 7, 2010) Gabriel Giurgiu scored the only goal of the game seven minutes before the break.


Brondby 1 – Sonderjyske 1 (SAS Ligaen, March 7, 2010) Solvi Ottesen gave Sonderjyske the lead but a Alexander Farnerud penalty four minutes from time handed Brondby a point.

FC Copenhagen 5 – Aarhus 0 (SAS Ligaen, March 7, 2010) FC Copenhagen went to the top of the SAS-Ligaen today after crushing AGF Aarhus 5-0. Cesar Santin grabbed a first-half hat-trick for the hosts with Martin Vingaard and Mathias Jorgensen completing the rout.

HB Koge 1 – Silkeborg 4 (SAS Ligaen, March 7, 2010) Jesper Bech opened the scoring for the visitors and although Quincy Antipas equalised, Silkeborg cruised to victory thanks to a Peter Degn brace and a Christian Holst strike.

Esbjerg 0 – Randers 0 (SAS Ligaen, March 7, 2010) Third-placed Esbjerg were held to a goalless draw by Randers.

FC Midtjylland 2 – OB Odense 2 (SAS Ligaen, March 6, 2010)


Sydney FC 2 – Melbourne Victory 2 (AET) (Agg. 3-4) (A-League Play-Off semi-final second-leg, March 7, 2010) Melbourne extended their aggregate lead after 15 minutes, when Robbie Kruse received the ball outside the home box and curled a beauty past keeper Bolton into the corner of the net. Sydney levelled in the 36th minute when Leijer shoved Brosque over in the box and Karol Kisel converted from the spot. The Sky Blues then took the lead in the 53rd minute, Byun Sung-Hwan’s cross was knocked back to Mark Bridge and the Sydney midfielder scored number two. The game went into extra time and Archie Thompson sent Melbourne through when he latched on to Kevin Muscat’s quick free-kick in the 113th minute.


Vissel Kobe 2 – Kyoto Sanga FC 0 (J-League, March 7, 2010) Popo scored a pair of goals to lead Vissel Kobe over Kyoto Sanga.

Omiya Ardija 3 – Cerezo Osaka 0 (J-League, March 7, 2010) Hayato Hashimoto and Naoki Ishihara scored in the first half and Rafael added another after the break to lead Omiya Ardija to a convincing win over newly promoted Cerezo Osaka.

Kashima Antlers 2 – Urawa Red Diamonds 0 (J-League, March 6, 2010) Shinzo Koroki helped Kashima to a 2-0 win over Urawa with a sliding shot to put the defending champions one up in the fifth minute.  Brazilian striker Marquinhos, who hit the right post in the 21st minute and the bar in the 84th, finally nodded home a cross from Endo Yasushi in the 86th minute to wrap up the points.


Atletico Tucuman 0 – Banfield 0 (Clausura, March 7, 2010)

Independiente 2 – River Plate 0 (Clausura, March 7, 2010) Dario Gandin (38th) and Andres Silvera (60th) sealed Independiente’s win.

Huracan 2 – Tigre 3 (Clausura, March 7, 2010)

Argentinos Jrs 1 – Velez Sarsfield 0 (Clausura, March 7, 2010)

Newells Old Boys 2 – Godoy Cruz 1 (Clausura, March 7, 2010)  Joaquin Boghossian scored in the 38th and 49th minutes to give Newells the win. Colombian Jairo Castillo scored for Godoy.


Sao Caetano 0 – Corinthians 1 (Campeonato Paulista, March 7, 2010) Defending champion Corinthians jumped to fourth in the standings by beating Sao Caetano 1-0 with an 86th-minute header by substitute striker Dentiniho.

Portuguesa 1 – Santos 1 (Campeonato Paulista, March 7, 2010)


Indios 0 – Tigres 1 (Mexican Primera Division, March 7, 2010) Alan Pulido was ordered off in the first half, but Indios Juarez then went ahead after 41 minutes when Itamar Batista beat Christian Martinez. Jesus Molina was given his marching orders after 63 minutes to hand the hosts a two-man advantage but they could not find an equaliser.

Club America 6 – Queretaro 0 (Mexican Primera Division, March 7, 2010) Antonio Lopez scored in the 23rd and 26th minutes to put Club America in charge, before completing his hat-trick a minute into the second half. Angel Reyna, Luis Sandoval and substitute Daniel Marquez added further goals.

Santos 4 – Atlante 2 (Mexican Primera Division, March 7, 2010) Atlante looked set for their first away points of the season when Arturo Munoz and Johan Fano gave them a 2-0 lead after just 20 minutes. Vicente Vuoso cut the lead five minutes before half-time, and the dismissal of Jose Joel Gonzalez early in the second half proved a turning point. Oribe Peralta hauled Santos Laguna level in the 66th minute and Carlos Quintero put them ahead with six minutes remaining, before Vuoso scored his second of the game in the closing stages.

Pumas 4 – Puebla 1 (Mexican Primera Division, March 7, 2010) Pumas preserved their unbeaten home record with a 4-1 win against Puebla, in which Leandro Augusto, Pablo Barrera, Martin Bravo and Jehu Chiapas scored after Herculez Gomez had netted a fourth-minute opener for the visitors.