FA Cup 3rd round: Forest dump mega-bucks City out of the Cup; Riera & Torres see Liverpool through at Deepdale; RVP’s brace downs Plymouth; Derby win a 7-goal thriller

Highlights from Macclesfield-Everton, Hull-Newcastle, Forest Green-Derby, Arsenal-Plymouth and Preston-Liverpool can be seen here.

Manchester City 0 – Nottingham Forest 3 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) The so-called richest club in the world fell to Championship Forest in one of the main FA Cup shocks of the day. Nathan Tyson (fabulous volley) and Rob Earnshaw had first half goals for Forest and Joe Garner (shocking defending) scored in the 75th minute to complete an embarrassing defeat for City,

Preston 0 – Liverpool 2 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) (Longer highlights here.) Albert Riera arrowed a great effort into the top corner to give Liverpool the lead midway through the first half at Deepdale. Deep into injury-time of the game, man of the moment Steven Gerrard teed up Fernando Torres for the second. (First half highlights here, second half highlights here.)

Arsenal 3 – Plymouth 1 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Arsenal battered away at the Plymouth goal in the first half (highlights here) without finding the breakthrough. After the break the match came to life, Robin van Persie headed home Nasri’s cross before a van Persie cross was turned into his own net from David Gray. Karl Duguid pulled a goal back for the Pirates before van Persie bagged his brace five minutes from time.

Chelsea 1 – Southend 1 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Salomon Kalou gave Chelsea the lead in the 31st minute but the Blues never added a second, and were made to pay when Peter Clarke scored in injury time to force a replay.

Hartlepool 2 – Stoke 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Hartlepool went ahead early in the second half when Michael Nelson scored with a header before David Foley made it 2-0 with a 30-yard beauty in the 76th minute.

Sheffield Wednesday 1 – Fulham 2 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Andy Johnson scored after only 11 minutes at Hillsbrough but a wonder goal from Tommy Spurr brought the hosts level. Johnson then won the match for Fulham striking three minutes from time.

Macclesfield 0 – Everton 1 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Everton took the lead on the stroke of halftime at Macclesfield when Leon Osman scored a stunning volley that rocketed into the net off the underside of the bar.

Forest Green 3 – Derby 4 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Non-league Forest Green took a brilliant 2-nil lead over Championship Derby, Jonathan Smith struck a FA Cup special from 25-yards before Alex Lawless broke free to double the advantage. But back came the Rams, Rob Hulse headed a goal back in the 39th minute and Martin Albrechtsen nodded in the equaliser in injury time at the end of the half. (First half goals here.) In the 72nd minute Paul Stonehouse put the hosts ahead. But Derby rallied with goals from Paul Green and a Steve Davies penalty.

West Ham 3 – Barnsley 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Herita Ilunga’s first goal for West Ham, a penalty from Mark Noble and a third from Carlton Cole (3 goals in 3 games) gave the Hammers safe passage through to round four.

West Brom 1 – Peterborough 1 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Jonas Olsson’s second half goal looked to be good enough to send Baggies through but with three minutes remaining Craig Mackail-Smith scored a late leveller for the Posh.

Sunderland 2 – Bolton 1 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Sunderland’s strikers Kenwyne Jones (terrible celebration) and Djibril Cisse (a fine volley, but another terrible celebration) both scored second half goals for the Black Cats. Bolton’s Polish striker Ebi Smolarek scored a deflected lob for the visitors.

Portsmouth 0 – Bristol City 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) The FA Cup holders Pompey could only draw with Championship side Bristol City.

Torquay 1 – Blackpool 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Championship side Blackpool were dumped out of the cup by Conference club Torquay as Matthew Green’s goal just past the half hour mark ensured the upset.

Watford 1 – Scunthorpe 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) A Jobi McAnuff corner was met by the unmarked Adrian Mariappa to see the Hornets through.

Kettering 2 – Eastwood 1 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Kettering won the battle of the non-league sides with goals from Craig Westcarr and Gareth Seddon. Paul Robinson scored for Eastwood.

Middlesbrough 2 – Barrow 1 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Afonso Alves ended a barren run in front of goal with his first in nine games. After the interval Alves grabbed his second of the afternoon with Jason Walker’s late goal nothing more than a consolation.

Ipswich 3 – Chesterfield 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009)

Coventry 2 – Kidderminster 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Leon McKenzie and Leon Best goals were enough for Chris Coleman’s side.

Leicester 0 – Crystal Palace 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009)

Charlton 1 – Norwich 1 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Phil Parkinson’s first game in charge for the Addicks began well with 16-year-old Jonjo Shelvey thumping home Hameur Bouazza’s cross. Arturo Lupoli fired in the equaliser following good work from Wes Hoolahan.

Cardiff 2 – Reading 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Last year’s beaten finalists Cardiff progressed to the next round courtesy of goals from Ross McCormack and Joe Ledley.


Celtic 2 – Dundee United 2 (SPL, January 3, 2008) Georgios Samaras scored in the 12th and 57th minutes to give the champions what appeared to be a comfortable lead at Parkhead. United left back Paul Dixon reduced the deficit on the hour mark with a wonderful free-kick and then Warren Feeney grabbed a dramatic equaliser in the closing stages.


Barcelona 3 – Mallorca 1 (La Liga, January 3, 2008) (Longer highlights here.) With Lionel Messi sat next to Argentinean manager Diego Maradona in the stands, Aritz Aduriz gave the visitors a 15th minute lead with a sweet chip over Valdes, but Thierry Henry equalised just after the half hour mark for Barca. With 15 minutes remaining Andres Iniesta put Barca in the lead and Yaya Toure sealed the win with a late third. (First half highlights here, second half highlights here.)

Valencia 3 – Atletico Madrid 1 (La Liga, January 3, 2008) Valencia won a very soft penalty that David Villa slotted home and David Silva doubled the lead after running untracked into the box. But Atletico got a foothold in the game on the stroke of halftime when Diego Forlan scored a penalty for the visitors. After the break David Silva restored Valencia’s two goal cushion with a superb strike from 25-yards out.

Albacete 1 – Zaragoza 1 (Segunda Division, January 3, 2008)


Montpellier 0 – Dunkerque 1 (Coupe De France, January 3, 2008) Dunkerque caused a major upset knocking out Montpellier thanks to Tainmont’s first half goal.

Alencon 2 – Lorient 2 (Pens. 4-5) (Coupe De France, January 3, 2008) Daniel put Alecon in the lead but Gameiro pulled the Ligue 1 side level. Namouchi then scored a wonderful half-volley from 30-yards out only for the minnows to equalise through Paris’ late volley. Liorent won on penalties.

Bordeaux 0 – St. Etienne 1 (Coupe De France, January 3, 2008) St. Etienne caused a mini-upset knocking high-flying Bordeaux out the cup, Batefimbi Gomis found a little space in teh box which allowed him to score a 74th minute winner.

Sochaux 0 – Rennes 1 (Coupe De France, January 3, 2008) Moussa Sow headed home the only goal of the game just before the break.

Arras 1 – Nice 3 (AET) (Coupe De France, January 3, 2008) In heavy fog Ben Saada fired Nice in the lead but Arras levelled through Michael Bellatreche in barely visible conditions. (Both goals here.) In extra time the Ligue 1 side took control, Eric Mouloungui and Ben Saada ensuring Nice’s passage through to next round.

Romorantin 0* – Nancy 0 (Pens. 4-2) (Coupe De France, January 3, 2008) Nancy were the top flight’s biggest casualty losing to fourth division Romorantin on penalties.

Ajaccio 1* – Auxerre 1 (Pens. 3-2) (Coupe De France, January 3, 2008) Benoit Pedretti put home side Auxerre in front after 26 minutes but Ligue 2 Ajaccio equalised nine minutes later through Cedric Uras. The Corsican club then won on penalties.

Alfortville 0 – Le Havre 2 (Coupe De France, January 3, 2008)

Vannes 1 – Chateauroux 0 (Coupe De France, January 3, 2008)

Nantes 2 – Caen 2* (Pens. 3-5) (Coupe De France, January 3, 2008)

Louhans Cuiseaux 0 – Troyes 1 (AET)  (Coupe De France, January 3, 2008) A horrific 120th minute own goal from Moulin dumped Louhans out the cup.

Schirrhein 4 – Clermont Foot 2 (Coupe De France, January 3, 2008)

Toulouse 0* – Valenciennes 0 (Pens. 5-4) (Coupe De France, January 3, 2008)


Vitoria Setubal 0 – Sporting Lisbon 2 (Superliga, January 3, 2008) First half goals from Liedson and Joao Moutinho gave Sporting the points.

Rio Ave 2 – Vitoria Guimaraes 4 (Superliga, January 3, 2008) A frantic first half ended 2-apiece, Gaspar and Mendes for the hosts, Arnolin and Felipe for Vitoria. (First half goals here.) The visitors won the match after the break with goals from Desmarets and Roberto.


Ergotelis 0 – Panthrakikos Komotini 1 (Greek Super League, January 3, 2008) Ludovic Clement curled home a fine free-kick for the winner.

Asteras Tripolis 0 – Olympiakos 1 (Greek Super League, January 3, 2008) Galletti’s first half penalty gave Olympiakos the points.


Ethnikos 0 – Anorthosis 1 (Cypriot First Division, January 3, 2008) Nicolaou’s perfect curling free-kick was the difference between the sides.

All the goals from Saturday’s action in the Cypriot First Division can be seen here.


Adelaide United 2 – Sydney FC 0 (A-League, January 3, 2009) The Reds took the lead just before halftime as Cassio tucked the ball in from just outside the six yard box. Alemao doubled the advantage in the 83rd minute, racing through and beating the keeper to send Adelaide top of the table.