Sporting frustrated at Olhanense; VVV-AZ play out 6-goal thriller; Ref abuse at RKC-Heerenveen & NAC-Utrecht; Olympiakos held

Olhanense 0 – Sporting Lisbon 0 (Liga Sagres, February 20, 2010) A match played in atrocious weather conditions ended in a goalless draw as Jorge Costa’s Olhanense earned another precious point in their fight against relegation against Sporting. The Algarve outfit have now lost just once in their last eight games, while Sporting have now gone seven games without tasting victory.

Vitoria Guimaraes 2 – Leixoes 0 (Liga Sagres, February 20, 2010) Valdomiro fired the hosts into the lead in the 35th minute, Miguel doubled the lead three minutes from time.


VVV Venlo 3 – AZ Alkmaar 3 (Eredivisie, February 20, 2010) Adil Auassar cancelled out Pontus Wernbloom’s first-half opener but Simon Poulsen and Mounir El Hamdaoui put the visitors 3-1 up. VVV were not to be denied, though, and Ruben Schaken cut the deficit before Michael Uchebo levelled matters once more 15 minutes from time.

RKC 1 – Heerenveen 2 (Eredivisie, February 20, 2010) Heerenveen’s 2-1 win at basement club RKC Waalwijk was held up for the same reason as the home fans vented their ire at referee Bas Nijhuis’ harsh handball decision which allowed Gerald Sibon to score the winner from the penalty spot six minutes from time. Veteran Sibon had opened the scoring in the 13th minute but Benjamin de Ceulaer’s tap-in levelled matters before the late controversy.

NAC 0 – Utrecht 2 (Eredivisie, February 20, 2010) (Longer highlights here.) Goals from Nana Asare and Dries Mertens sank 10-man NAC Breda as, for the second week in succession, FC Utrecht saw their match delayed due to abusive chants aimed at the referee. The outpouring of anger came from the NAC faithful and centred on the harsh dismissal of Anthony Lurling.

NEC 0 – Groningen 2 (Eredivisie, February 20, 2010) Goran Lovre grabbed the first after just eight minutes before Matavz made sure of the points not long after the half-time break. Not even Leandro Bacuna’s red card with half an hour still to play could sour an excellent day’s work for Groningen.


Sivasspor 1 – Manisaspor 0 (Super Lig, February 20, 2010) Cihan Yilmaz’s 64th minute strike earned Sivas the points.

Eskisehirspor 0 – Genclerbirligi 0 (Super Lig, February 20, 2010) Eskisehirspor’s recent good form came to a slight halt, the hosts with the best chance of the match when Carlos Kahe crashed a smart shot against the bar.

Trabzonspor 0 – Istanbul Buyuksehir 0 (Super Lig, February 20, 2010)


Ergotelis 1 – Olympiakos 1 (Greek Super League, February 20, 2010) Vassilis Torosidis had put Olympiakos ahead in the first half after he followed up LuaLua’s saved spot-kick. Mario Budimir salvaged a point for Ergotelis with an 85th minute leveller.

Kavala 2 – Xanthi 1 (Greek Super League, February 20, 2010) Kavala’s superb run of form continued against Xanthi as the hosts claimed their third successive victory. Mauro Poy put the visitors ahead miway through the first half, but a double from forward Benjamin Onwuachi earned Kavala the win.

Iraklis 1 – Levadiakos 1 (Greek Super League, February 20, 2010)