Goals from Turkey, Holland, Portugal, Belgium & Greece

Galatasaray 4 – Besiktas 2 (Super Lig, December 21, 2008) Cetin put Gala ahead on 8 minutes but Delgado equalised five minutes later. Milan Baros then converted a penalty in the 16th minute to restore the hosts lead. The Czech striker went on to net the third in the 53rd minute. Holosko did get one back for Besiktas in the 55th minute but Baros completed his hat-trick, again from the penalty spot, in the 67th.

Genclerbirligi 1 – Sivasspor 2 (Super Lig, December 21, 2008) Musa Aydin fired Sivasspor in front with a 20-yard shot the rocketed into the roof of the net. Djite levelled for the hosts on the stroke of halftime, but the visitors took all three points when Mohammed Ali Kurtulus claimed a wonderful winner with an unstoppable 25-yard effort.


Twente 2 – Willem II 0 (Eredivisie, December 21, 2008) Goals from Douglas Franco and Blaise Nkufo earned Twente their fifth successive Eredivisie victory.

PSV 1 – Feyenoord 0 (Eredivisie, December 21, 2008) Ibrahim Afellay settled the battle between two of the biggest clubs in Holland with a fine strike late on. (First half highlights here, second half highlights here.)

De Graafschap 0 – Ajax 6 (Eredivisie, December 21, 2008) Ajax went ahead in the 10th minute when Cvitanich headed in Sulejmani’s corner and Sulejmani increased the lead two minutes later turning in Eyong Enoh’s cross. Suarez converted a 53rd minute penalty before Suarez bagged his second in the 62nd minute. Urby Emanuelson made it 5-nil with a fine volley and Cvitanich completed the win with another header off Sulejmani’s cross.

FC Volendam 3 – Heracles 1 (Eredivisie, December 21, 2008)

NEC 0 – Ado Den Haag 0 (Eredivisie, December 21, 2008)

Excelsior 1 – VVV Venlo 2 (Dutch Jupiler League, December 20, 2008)


Leixoes 1 – Estrela Amadora 1 (Superliga, December 21, 2008) Leixoes took a 58th-minute lead through striker Wesley following Diogo Valente’s corner despite Amadora players arguing that the ball had not crossed the line. The visitors equalised through Celestino’s penalty.

Porto 0 – Maritimo 0 (Superliga, December 21, 2008) The champions struggled against Maritimo’s well-organized defence, which has conceded just one goal away this season and is now unbeaten in nine games.

Belenenses 3 – Trofense 2 (Superliga, December 21, 2008) Edu Sousa opened the scoring in the 22nd and Valdomiro added an injury-time goal for the visitors, only for Marcelo in the 57th and Wender 10 minutes later to level the scores. Gabriel Gomez netted the 78th-minute winner to leave Trofense as the league’s new last-place team.


Standard Liege 2 – Gent 1 (Jupiler League, December 21, 2008) Standard took the lead through Dalmat on 25 minutes and Dante doubled the advantage eight minutes after halftime. Maric got one back for Gent but Standard held on to their lead to stay top of the league.

Cercle Bruges 4 – Roeselare 3 (Jupiler League, December 20, 2008) The hosts took a 3-nil into the break after Sutter, Iachtchouk and Smet all scored. Betremieux pulled a goal back only for Iachtchouk to net his second of the match. Further goals from Ouattara and Hietanen could not help Roeselare avoid defeat.

Mons 2 – Zulte-Waregem 2 (Jupiler League, December 20, 2008) In a ding-dong battle Toubabo put the hosts ahead only for Meert to level with sixty seconds. Dahmane restored Mons’ lead in the second half but once again the visitors drew equalised. this time through Coppin.

Mouscron 5 – Club Brugge 1 (Jupiler League, December 20, 2008) Custovic scored a hat-trick for Mouscron.

Lokeren 2 – KV Mechelen 2 (Jupiler League, December 20, 2008)


OFI Crete 0 – Panathinaikos 3 (Greek Super League, December 21, 2008) Antonis Petropoulos opened the scoring with a header off Giorgos Karagounis’ cross in the 52nd and Salpingidis made it 2-0 four minutes later. Substitute Ante Rukavina scored the third goal in injury time with a header off a cross by Sotiris Ninis.

Olympiakos 2 – Thrasyvoulos 1 (Greek Super League, December 21, 2008) Olympiakos’ Sebastian Leto scored in the 20th minute, but Yiannis Chloros’ header eight minutes later levelled for Thrasivoulos. Luciano Galletti came off the bench to convert an injury time penalty for Olympiakos.

AEK Athens 3 – Ergotelis 2 (Greek Super League, December 21, 2008)