FC Twente go seven points clear in Holland; Recovering Porto hammer Maritimo; Donk scores in each end in Anderlecht-Club Brugge draw; Nalchik hit five to top Russia; Erdogan sends Bursaspor five clear in Turkey

VVV Venlo 0 – FC Twente 2 (Eredivisie, April 3, 2010) Steve McClaren’s charges took another big step forward to claiming the Dutch championship with a fin away win at Venlo courtesy of goal in each half from Blaise N’Kufo and the excellent Bryan Ruiz.

AZ Alkmaar 2 – FC Utrecht 0 (Eredivisie, April 3, 2010) A fantastic strike from Maarten Martens and a second from Mounir El Hamdaoui lead AZ Alkmaar over sixth-placed FC Utrecht.

Roda 5 – RKC Waalwijk 1 (Eredivisie, April 3, 2010) The visitors took an early lead through Charlison Benschop’s goal but a Morten Skoubo strike and an own goal from Jurgen Colin put the hosts ahead at the break. And things only got worse for the home team as Mads Junker helped himself to a second-half hat-trick inside 19 minutes.

Heerenveen 4 – Sparta 1 (Eredivisie, April 3, 2010) Heerenveen defender Michael Dingsdag was given his marching orders after just 17 minutes. Joshua John stepped up to take the resulting spot-kick but it was saved by Henk Timmer. Despite their numerical disadvantage, the hosts led 3-0 at the break after Hernan Losada and Roy Beerens struck either side of a Gerald Sibon penalty. Erik Falkenburg offered the slightest of consolations when he pulled a goal back on the hour, but a wonder solo-goal from Hernan Losada after 77 minutes left Sparta red-faced.

Vitesse 3 – Groningen 0 (Eredivisie, April 3, 2010) Claudemir set them on their way with a quarter of the game remaining and Santi Kolk’s 20-yard strike and Alexander Buttner’s amazing stoppage-time lob made the result safe.


Porto 4 – Maritimo 1 (Liga Sagres, April 3, 2010) Porto moved within five points of second-placed Braga in the Portuguese Liga with a 4-1 hammering of Maritimo despite going behind in the first minute to Takahito Soma’s strike. They were 2-1 up inside eight minutes thanks to Falcao and Raul Meireles, and Falcao struck again six minutes after half-time before Hulk wrapped up victory with 12 minutes remaining.

Olhanense 2 – Vitoria Setubal 2 (Liga Sagres, April 3, 2010) Bernardo Henrique gave the visitors a 1-0 half-time lead and, when Ladji Keita made it 2-0 13 minutes after the interval, it appeared Vitoria would open up a three-point gap over their hosts, who occupy the third and final place in the drop zone. But in a stunning conclusion to the game, Vieira Djalmir pulled one back with five minutes to go and, in the last minute, Andre Castro earned a vital draw with kept Olhanense level on points with their opponents.

Academica Coimbra 0 – Uniao Leiria 0 (Liga Sagres, April 3, 2010) Academica moved a point above the relegation zone with a goalless home draw against Uniao.

Pacos Ferreira 0 – Belenenses 0 (Liga Sagres, April 3, 2010) Basement club Belenenses gained a creditable share of the spoils at Pacos Ferreira in another match which failed to yield a goal.


Anderlecht 2 – Club Brugge 2 (Jupiler League Championship Play-Off, April 3, 2010) An own goal from Ryan Donk put Anderlecht ahead on 16 minutes and Matias Suarez made it 2-0 eight minutes after the break. Brugge did fight their way back as Nabil Dirar crashed home a swerving free-kick in the 55th minute and Donk, making up for his own goal, in the 81st. Donk’s day ended with the defender seeing red at the death.


Amkar Perm 3 – Sibir Novosibirsk 1 (Russian Premier League, April 3, 2010) Close-range finishes from Sergey Volkov and Georgi Peev fired Amker in control after 24 minutes, but an outstanding bullet free-kick from Dmitri Molosh pulled Sibir back into the match ten minutes from the interval. Amkar wrapped up the victory at the death when Georgi Peev cracked home his second with a powerful shot into the near post.

Anji Makhachkala 2 – Alania Vladikavkaz 0 (Russian Premier League, April 3, 2010) Anji won the battle of the newly promoted clubs as Andrey Streltsov netted a first half penalty and Dutchman Jan Holenda’s first goal in Russia early in the second half.

Spartak Nalchik 5 – Rostov 2 (Russian Premier League, April 3, 2010) Spartak got off to a flying start with David Siradze grabbing the first in the third minute before Leandro doubled the advantage from the penalty spot in the 13th minute. Another penalty from Alexander Amisulashvili early in the second half made it 3-0. Rostov substitute Mersudin Ahmetovic got one back for the visitors in the 64th minute, but Vladimir Dyadyun responded three minutes later to make it 4-1. Roman Adamov converted Rostov’s 80th-minute penalty, but Leandro needed only a minute to restore the three-goal advantage and put Spartak three points clear of Rubin Kazan.


Bursaspor 2 – Antalyaspor 1 (Super Lig, April 3, 2010) After Necati Ates scored yet another header for Antalyaspor early doors, Bursaspor keeper Dimitar Ivankov levelled from the penalty spot before Omer Erdogan sealed the title hopefuls comeback with a winner 15 minutes from time.

Istanbul Buyuksehir 3 – Denizlispor 1 (Super Lig, April 3, 2010) Ahmet Cebe had fired Denizlispor into the lead after 38 minutes, but they were over-run in the second half as Damien Chrysostome’s 50th-minute own goal was followed by strikes from half-time substitutes Ibrahim Akin (64) and Tevfik Kose (75). The defeat left Denizlispor seven points adrift of safety.


Obolon Kyiv 0 – Shakhtar Donetsk 1 (Ukrainian Premier League, April 3, 2010) Another world-class free-kick from Dario Srna from tight on the right touchline into the far top corner settled the match for Shakhtar.

Zorya 0 – Dynamo Kyiv 2 (Ukrainian Premier League, April 3, 2010)