UEFA Cup: Manchester City progress on penalties after late comeback by Aalborg

Aalborg 2 – Manchester City 0* (Pen. 3-4 ) (Agg 2-2) (UEFA Cup, March 19, 2009) Manchester City were satisfied with a goalless first half draw that left their 2-0 first leg lead intact over Aalborg. (First-half highlights here.) On the hour mark, Aalborg thought they had won a penalty when Andreas Johansson was brought down by Javier Garrido but nothing was given. With six minutes remaining Luton Shelton (handball?) gave Aalborg hope, giving them the lead on the night. And they completed a remarkable late comeback when Michael Jakobsen equalised from the spot after Ched Evans had handballed in the area on 90 minutes. (Typical City!) Shay Given was the hero in the penalty shoot-out claiming two saves to send City through to the quarter-finals. (The shoot-out can be seen here.)

Braga 0 – PSG 1 (Agg. 0-1) (UEFA Cup, March 19, 2009) After 171 minutes of goalless football, Ligue 1’s second top goal scorer this season Guillem Hoarau headed in at the back post to send PSG through to the quarters.

Galatasaray 2 – Hamburg 3 (Agg. 3-4) (UEFA Cup, March 19, 2009) Galatasaray took the lead five minutes before half time when Harry Kewell converted a penalty after Baros had been brought down by Boateng. Five minutes after the break, Milan Baros chipped in the second after a slick move and a great through ball from Arda Turan. But the tie was turned on its head thanks to two goals in three minutes from Paolo Guerrero. The Hamburg number nine claimed the first with a terrific strike from outside the box and then on the hour mark added the equaliser with a fine run and powerful finish. Ivica Olic wrapped up the tie in the 90th minute.

Shakhtar Donetsk 2 – CSKA Moscow 0 (Agg. 3-1) (UEFA Cup, March 19, 2009) (Longer highlights here.) CSKA had a goal ruled out at the start of the second half when Vagner Love bundled a defender out the way in order to turn the ball over the line. Shakhtar then took control of the tie, Fernandinho slotting home a 54th minute penalty and Luiz Adriano added the crucial second with 20 minutes remaining after a poor flap by the CSKA keeper.

Zenit St. Petersburg 1 – Udinese 0 (Agg. 1-2) (UEFA Cup, March 19, 2009) Zenit went into the break 1-up after Anatoliy Tymoschuk got the final touch in a head-tennis session in the Udinese box.

Metalist Kharkiv 3 – Dynamo Kiev 2* (Agg. 3-3) (UEFA Cup, March 19, 2009) Trailing 1-nil on aggregate in the all Ukrainian tie, Valentyn Slyusar fired Metalist level in the tie with a 29th minute header. The hosts then took the lead through Jaja Coelho early in the second half before Goran Sablic scored a crucial away goal for Kiev. But back came Metalist, Valentyn Slyusar giving the hosts the lead once more, but a thrilling match was settled on away goals through Milos Ninkovic’s second for Dynamo.

(Full UEFA Cup odds can be seen here.)