VIDEO: Wigan’s unbelievable comeback ends Arsenal’s title hopes; Villa beat Pompey to keep Euro bid alive

Wigan 3 – Arsenal 2 (Premier League, April 18, 2010) (Longer highlights here and MOTD highlights here.) Having bossed the first half at Wigan and missing several good chances, a slick through-ball from Bendtner freed Arsenal forward Theo Walcott in the inside right channel and the England speedster rode his luck to make his way goalwards and slip the ball past Kirkland. The Gunners appeared to kill the match within three minutes of the restart as Mikael Silvestre planted home a Nasri corner for number two. But Wigan kept plugging away despite Arsenal having the majority of the play, and ten minutes from time they established a foothold in the game when former Crystal Palace duo Victor Moses and Ben Watson combined for the flame-haired midfielder to score. Wigan threw the kitchen sink at Arsenal in the closing stages and Fabianski was at fault for allowing the Latics to level as the keeper fumbled a corner and Titus Bramble gobbled up the opportunity with a simple header. And then came Wigan’s unbelievable third to flatten Arsenal’s title challenge once again, as player of the season Charles N’Zogbia drifted from right to left across the Arsenal box before curling a beauty in off the far post for one of the best/most unlikely comebacks of the season.

Post match interviews: Arsene Wenger & Roberto Martinez.

Portsmouth 1 – Aston Villa 2 (Premier League, April 18, 2010) (MOTD highlights here.) Michael Brown gave Pompey a 9th minute lead over Aston Villa with a sweet first-time strike after Vanden Borre had crossed from the left and Boateng had contributed with a neat step-over. John Carew levelled after 16 minutes when he latched onto Warnock’s diagonal pass and beat James without too much trouble. David James saved Pompey’s bacon at the end of the first half when he saved a poor Carew penalty. Villa grabbed a late 82nd minute from a quick Young free-kick that freed Milner down the left, his cross was flicked on Heskey and Nathan Delfouneso was on hand to jab the ball home from five yards.


Gillingham 3 – Leeds 2 (League One, April 17, 2010) Adam Miller and Mark Bentley put the Gills 2-0 up and Richard Naylor’s own goal made it three before Luciano Becchio cut the deficit on the stroke of half-time. Jermaine Beckford’s 87th minute penalty set up an exciting finish but the West Yorkshire side were unable to find a late equaliser.