VIDEO: Undefeated Chelsea beat Fulham in the West London derby; Spurs stay top after West Ham comeback; Burnley sink Everton

Fulham 0 – Chelsea 2 (Premier League, August 23, 2009) (Longer highlights here and MOTD highlights here.) Chelsea had the better of the half chances at the start of the West London derby, Michael Ballack wasted a free-kick opportunity while John Terry tried his luck from 25-yards out. The Blues endeavour paid off when Anelka slipped a pass through to Didier Drogba who neatly finished past Schwarzer. 15 minutes from time Chelsea’s front-two combined once more, this time it was Drogba who teed up Nicolas Anelka for number two.

West Ham 1 – Tottenham 2 (Premier League, August 23, 2009) (Longer highlights here and MOTD highlights here.) After a goalless opening forty-five (first half highlights here) at Upton Park, Carlton Cole sent the home crowd wild with a stunning 25-yard opener that beat Cudicini into his near post. But just minutes later Cole sunk from hero to zero, playing a bizarre through-ball to Jermaine Defoe who made no mistake from inside the box. 12 minutes from time Spurs took the lead, Spector failed to cut out Corluka’s ball to Aaron Lennon down the right, and the flying winger struck a left-footed arrow into the Hammers far post.

Harry Redknapp’s thoughts can be seen here, Gianfranco Zola’s interview is here.

Burnley 1 – Everton 0 (Premier League, August 23, 2009) Burnley broke the deadlock in the first half (highlights here) thanks to a wonderful little curler from Wade Elliott into Howard’s far post. The Toffees, who were well below par, should have levelled after the break but Louis Saha dragged a penalty wide of Brian “the Beast” Jensen’s post. Six points for the Clarets, none for Everton.


Crystal Palace 0 – Newcastle 2 (Championship, August 22, 2009) The Toon moved in front inside 90 seconds through Kevin Nolan, and Ryan Taylor added a superb second with a 25-yard curler into the corner of the net.

Sheffield Wednesday 4 – Scunthorpe 0 (Championship, August 22, 2009) Richard Wood opened the scoring after six minutes and Jermaine Johnson doubled the hosts’ lead six minutes later. The game was all but over after just 34 minutes when Marcus Tudgay headed home and Darren Potter rounded off the scoring 13 minutes after the break.

Derby 2 – Plymouth 1 (Championship, August 22, 2009) Plymouth stunned Derby by taking the lead in the 17th minute after Jake Buxton was adjudged to have fouled Alan Judge. Judge then composed himself to put the visitors in front from the penalty spot. But Derby fought back to level before the break when Buxton redeemed himself by scoring the equaliser and Addison pounced in the final minute.

Brighton 2 – Stockport 4 (League One, August 22, 2009) Carl Baker hit a hat-trick as Stockport won their first match this season in a game which saw Brighton defenders Tommy Elphick and Colin Hawkins sent off.