VIDEO: Man United shoot down Everton; Chelsea breeze past poor Wolves; Sunderland scalp Arsenal; Faltering Liverpool & Man City record unhelpful 2-all draw; Struggling Hull & Hammers in 3-all draw

Manchester United 3 – Everton 0 (Premier League, November 21, 2009) (MOTD highlights here.) Manchester United broke the deadlock ten minutes before the interval as Evra broke down the left, his cross was knocked back by Valencia and Darren Fletcher reeled off a bullet from the edge of the box which beat Howard all ends-up. (First half highlights here.) United doubled their lead 23 minutes from time as a Giggs cross was stroked home through a crowded Everton penalty area by Michael Carrick for his first league goal of the season. The game was over 15 minutes from time when Scholes led a United attack being playing in Antonio Valencia whose shot deflected past Howard. (Second half highlights here.)

Chelsea 4 – Wolves 0 (Premier League, November 21, 2009) (MOTD highlights here.) League leaders Chelsea needed four minutes before scoring against Wolves, Florent Malouda cracking home 25-yard beauty into the top corner to leave Wayne Hennessey helpless. The Blues quickly increased their lead, Michael Essien leaping high at the near post to head in number two from a corner. Championship-bound Wolves found themselves 3-down inside 20 minutes as Michael Essien found too much time and space in the middle of the pitch before seeing his shot take a deflection on it’s way into the net. It was a question of how many Chelsea would score when Joe Cole smacked in the fourth ten minutes into the second half.

Sunderland 1 – Arsenal 0 (Premier League, November 21, 2009) (MOTD highlights here.) Darren Bent struck 19 minutes from time, making the most of his missed header that rebounded back to him off teammate Fraizer Campbell’s shins, to seal a tight contest after the Gunners had failed to make the most of the possession they enjoyed at the Stadium of Light.

Liverpool 2 – Manchester City 2 (Premier League, November 21, 2009) (MOTD highlights here.) A world class one-handed save from Shay Given denied Martin Skrtel from heading Liverpool into a 5th minute lead as Liverpool began in attacking intent in front of the Kop. The Reds then lost Agger and Babel early doors, but despite their rejig they continued to dominate City with Steven Gerrard superbly denied by Toure just before the half hour. Minutes into the second half Liverpool deservedly struck, Gerrard whipped in a free-kick to the near post and Martin Skrtel beat Adebayor to the ball the score into the near post. In the 68th minute City levelled as Skrtel went awol at a corner allowing Emmanuel Adebayor the freedom of the box to pick his spot with a header. City, all of a sudden in firm control of the match, went on to take the lead as Tevez and Wright-Phillips combined before Stephen Ireland (offside?) was able to tap in number two. But Mark Hughes was left pulling his hair out seconds later as City’s backline immediately fell to pieces and Yossi Benayoun slid in Liverpool’s leveller.

Hull 3 – West Ham 3 (Premier League, November 21, 2009) (MOTD highlights here.) Hull recovered from a 2-0 deficit opened by goals from Guillermo Franco and Jack Collison. A Carlton Cole own-goal and a Kamil Zayatte strike took the Tigers to parity before a Jimmy Bullard penalty took them ahead. The dismissal of Bernard Mendy in the 54th minute handed West Ham the whip hand but a Manuel Da Costa equaliser was the best that Gianfranco Zola’s men could produce. They remain in the bottom three with Hull perched a point and a place ahead.

Birmingham 1 – Fulham 0 (Premier League, November 21, 2009) A fine pass by James McFadden allowed Lee Bowyer a run at goal and a great dinked finish over the onrushing Mark Schwarzer gave him his 4th goal of the season and the Blues an early lead.

Burnley 1 – Aston Villa 1 (Premier League, November 21, 2009) (MOTD highlights here.) Burnley went in front after Robbie Blake had been fouled by Steve Sidwell, as from the resulting free-kick taken by Blake himself, the Clarets skipper beat Brad Friedel to the ball for his first Premier League goal. Emile Heskey, with his first goal of the season, ensured that Martin O’Neill’s side left Turf Moor with a point when the substitute headed home from close range following a cross by James Milner.


Barnsley 1 – Cardiff 0 (Championship, November 21, 2009) Barnsley grabbed a last-gasp victory over Cardiff as on-loan defender Carl Dickinson stepped up to drive a free-kick into the net from 25-yards to win it for Mark Robins’ men.

Brighton 0 – Leeds 3 (League One, November 21, 2009) Robert Snodgrass put the Whites in front with a sublime strike from 25-yards, before Neil Kilkenny’s great through-ball was finished with aplomb by Jermaine Beckford in the first half. David Prutton crossed for Neil Kilkenny to score at the death.