VIDEO: Diaby dooms Arsenal at Old Trafford; Liverpool battle hard to win at Bolton; Chelsea ease past Burnley; Lennon late show for Spurs; Stoke beat the Black Cats; Hull hold Wolves; Rovers and Hammers in stalemate

Manchester United 2 – Arsenal 1 (Premier League, August 29, 2009) (Alternative highlights here and MOTD highlights here.) Darren Fletcher missed an early chance for United, pulling a shot left of Almunia’s goal after nine minutes. At the other end Arsenal were also creating chances, Andrei Arshavin flashing a shot narrowly over Ben Foster’s bar. Wayne Rooney fired a free-kick off target as the match flowed from end-to-end, before Andrei Arshavin silenced Old Trafford with an unstoppable howitzer into the top corner five minutes from the break. (First half highlights here.) The Gunners were denied a second at the start of the second half as Ben Foster produced a top class save to stop van Persie’s close-range effort. With Fergie’s boys dangling on the ropes Wayne Rooney proved the Reds saviour, Almunia clattered into the forward in the box an from the resulting penalty Rooney drew United level. Six minutes later, and after RVP had hit the bar, the unlikely United comeback was complete as Abou Diaby managed to head a Giggs free-kick into his own net. The match ended in a farce as, after RVP had a 94th minute goal ruled out for offside, ref Mike Dean decided to send off Arsene Wenger who reacted in pantomime fashion by retreating to the United stands.

Sir Alex and Arsene Wenger’s post match comments can be seen here.

Bolton 2 – Liverpool 3 (Premier League, August 29, 2009) (MOTD highlights here.) Liverpool were guilty of some poor defending for Bolton’s opening goal, failing to deal with a corner that was fired home from close range by Kevin Davies. Rafa Benitez’s side responded well to going behind, first Torres missed a decent opportunity before Glen Johnson continued his fine form since moving from Portsmouth with the equaliser. Bolton retook the lead early in the second half thanks to the second most famous Israeli at the Reebok Tamir Cohen. The sending off of Sean Davis for two bookable offences turned the game again and a minute after the red card Fernando Torres finished after a great touch off from Kuyt. Seven minutes from time the Reds took the lead as, from a corner, Steven Gerrard smashed home the winner from the edge of the area.

Chelsea 3 – Burnley 0 (Premier League, August 29, 2009) (MOTD highlights here.) Chelsea dominated an open first half at Stamford Bridge against Burnley, the breakthrough came seconds before the break as Didier Drogba fired in a cross finished by both Clark Carlisle and Nicolas Anelka. The home side were scintillating early in the second half, Michael Ballack headed home from a Lampard cross two minutes after the break for the second and Ashley Cole volleyed into the top corner following another assist from Lampard for the third.

Tottenham 2 – Birmingham 1 (Premier League, August 29, 2009) (MOTD highlights here.) Peter Crouch came on to score his first League goal for Spurs in the second half and after Lee Bowyer took advantage of sloppy defending to claim an equaliser three minutes later, Aaron Lennon maintained Spurs’ 100 per cent start to the season. It wasn’t all good news for Spurs as Luka Modric limped off just seconds after the restart.

Stoke 1 – Sunderland 0 (Premier League, August 29, 2009) (MOTD highlights here.) Dave Kitson scored his second goal in as many games, a scrappy effort from a corner, to earn the Potters another three points.

Wolves 1 – Hull 1 (Premier League, August 29, 2009) (MOTD highlights here.) An early header from Geovanni put Hull into the lead, but a second-half goal from Wolves defender Richard Stearman ensured the points were shared.

Blackburn 0 – West Ham 0 (Premier League, August 29, 2009) (MOTD highlights here.) Blackburn were left to rue a glaring miss by teenager David Hoilett as West Ham ground out a draw at Ewood Park.


Nottingham Forest 3 – Derby 2 (Championship, August 29, 2009) It took Nottingham Forest less than sixty seconds to take the lead against Derby, a cross was only partially cleared by the Rams and Radoslaw Majewski latched onto the loose ball to whack home a cracker off the underside of the bar. Forest took control of the match through further goals from Dexter Blackstock and Nathan Tyson before half-time. Derby though hit back thanks to an overhead kick from Addison that hit Chris Cohen and then a Jake Livermore goal just after the hour.

Colchester 1 – Leeds 2 (League One, August 29, 2009) Leeds were ahead two minutes after the break when Bradley Johnson headed in Robert Snodgrass’ free-kick from close range. Colchester levelled when Kevin Lisbie was tugged by Rui Marques in the area and the striker slotted home the resultant penalty. Leeds restored their lead seven minutes later through serial-goalscorer Jermaine Beckford.