VIDEO: 10-man City draw at Wigan; Blackburn secure bragging rights over Burnley; Taarabt (Spurs) scores another solo stunner for QPR

Wigan 1 – Manchester City 1 (Premier League, October 18, 2009) (MOTD highlights here.) Wigan broke the deadlock with virtually the last kick of the first half, Scotland flicked the ball onto Hugo Rodallega down the left side of the box, his cross was only parried by Given and Charles N’Zogbia beat Bridge to the ball to score. City levelled seconds into the second half as Martin Petrov arrowed a drive into the bottom corner. On the hour mark City had Zabaleta dismissed for two bookings an that somewhat killed the game as the Citizens opted to shut up shop and hold on for the point.

Blackburn 3 – Burnley 2 (Premier League, October 18, 2009) (MOTD highlights here.) The cotton mill derby got off to an explosive start as, in the fifth minute, Burnley launched an end-to-end counter-attack with Robbie Blake finished with a clinical 20-yard shot past Paul Robinson. But Rovers were quick to level as David Dunn (three in three) fired a low, hard shot to the right of Jensen’s outstretched hand. After 21 minutes Blackburn turned the match on its head, Jensen failed to cut out a cross into the Claret’s box and on-loan Chelsea forward Franco Di Santo had the easy job of nodding in Rovers’ second. On the stroke of halftime Blackburn went 3-1 up as full-back Pascal Chimbonda cut in from the left before passing a shot past Jensen into the far corner. At the death Chris Eagles sent shivers up Blackburn’s spines by pulling a goal back for Burnley but it proved too little, too late.


QPR 4 – Preston 0 (Championship, October 17, 2009) Adel Taarabt kicked off proceedings with a  stunning solo goal after 11 minutes and Akos Buzsaky’s 63rd minute penalty put QPR in firm control. Jay Simpson added a third on 74 minutes and Wayne Routledge netted a fourth five minutes from time.

Tranmere 2 – Stockport 1 (League One, October 17, 2009) Tranmere notched up their third win as goals from Gareth Edds and John Welsh gave them a 2-1 victory over Brighton.