Spurs shoot-out nightmare as United win the Carling Cup; Stoke stage a remarkable comeback at Villa; Rovers topple Hull; Hammers beat home-sick City

Manchester United 0 – Tottenham 0 (Pens. 4-1) League Cup Final, March 1, 2009) (Longer highlights here.) There were no goals in the first half of the League Cup final, but Rio Ferdinand went close as the United centre-half controlled a loose ball on his knee before volleying narrowly over the Spurs bar. (First half highlights here.) Early in the second half Carlos Tevez sent a shot narrowly past Gomes’ post. An underwhelming 90 minutes were brought to life just before the whistle when Cristiano Ronaldo fired against the Tottenham post. Both sides, looking exhausted, refused to score in extra time and when the match went to penalties Ben Foster saved O’Hara’s initial spot-kick while David Bentley did his reputation no favours by skewing his effort wide. (The penalty shoot-out can be seen here, longer highlights here.)

Manchester United’s trophy celebrations can be seen here.


Aston Villa 2 – Stoke 2 (Premier League, March 1, 2009) Villa scored on the stroke of halftime against Stoke, Milner combined with Stiliyan Petrov just inside the box and the Bulgarian fired a shot through Thomas Sorensen. Ten minutes from time Villa bagged a fabulous second, Petrov lofted a ball into John Carew on the edge of the box and, with his back to goal, the big Norwegian hooked a volley over Sorensen. But Stoke rallied in amazing style, Richard Shawcross headed home a Beattie cross in the 87th minute before Glenn Whelan cracked a half-volley past Friedel in injury time.

Hull 1 – Blackburn 2 (Premier League, March 1, 2009) The Tigers fell behind when Duke saw Roque Santa Cruz steal the ball away from the keeper’s grasp, lay a pass back to Stephen Warnock who smashed in the opener. Two minutes later Blackburn went 2-up, Pedersen fed Warnock in the inside left channel, he burst into the box and Keith Andrews was on hand to convert the second. Both side lost a man in the second half, Marney and Pederson, before Hull skipper Iain Ashbee made things interesting with his first Premier League goal from a Mendy cross.

West Ham 1 – Manchester City 0 (Premier League, March 1, 2009) The main talking in an entertaining first half at Upton Park was a sickening injury to Hammer Valon Behrami who fell awkwardly after getting his studs caught in the turf. The high tempo continued after the break with the Hammers eventually breaking the deadlock when Savio burst down the left and the Italian’s saved shot was converted by Jack Collison.

Bolton 1 – Newcastle 0 (Premier League, March 1, 2009) Gary Megson brought on Ricardo Gardner at halftime and the Jamaican had an instant impact scoring in the 47th minute from close range.


Norwich 1 – Coventry 2 (Championship, February 28, 2009) Jordan Henderson had opened the scoring for the visitors but Jonathan Grounds restored Norwich’s hope with an equaliser early in the second half. Daniel Fox bagged a 73rd minute winner for the Sky Blues.

Leeds 3 – Scunthorpe 2 (League One, February 28, 2009) A Jermaine Beckford double helped Leeds win a thriller.