Man City make their point at Anfield; Craven Cottage remains a fortress for Fulham against the Baggies

Liverpool 1 – Manchester City 1 (Premier League, February 22, 2009) (MOTD highlights here.) City survived a scare after 22 minutes at Anfield when a loose ball in their box was barely cleared to safety. At the other end Steven Ireland missed a glorious opportunity to give the Citizens the just before the half hour, while Albert Riera had the best chance in the first half for the Reds but the Spaniard dragged his shot wide after good work from Torres. (First half highlights here.) Craig Bellamy scored immediately after the restart, the Welshman collected a pass from Kompany on the edge of the box and his shot deflected off Arbeloa past Riena to threaten Liverpool’s title hopes. City were proving good value for their lead but Liverpool levelled (as they always do), a Benayoun cross was mishit by Torres but Dirk Kuyt was on hand to poke the ball past Given.

Fulham 2 – West Brom 0 (Premier League, February 22, 2009) (MOTD highlights here.) The Cottagers broke the deadlock on the hour mark, Pantsil worked the space down the right, saw his cross flicked on by Johnson and Bobby Zamora connected at the back post to score. The second arrived ten minutes later, Zamora controlled a long ball on his chest, hammered a shot that Carson parried with Andy Johnson on hand to slot into an empty net.

Newcastle 0 – Everton 0 (Premier League, February 22, 2009) Kevin Nolan was sent off for a dreadful 43rd minute challenge on Victor Anichebe but the Toon held on to earn a point.


Southampton 3 – Preston 1 (Championship, February 21, 2009) Andrew Surman opened the scoring for Saints on 19 minutes before Marek Saganowski dipped a spectacular volley over the Preston goalkeeper from 25 yards to double Southampton’s lead. The Polish international striker took his tally to six goals in seven games with a fine individual goal just before halftime. Wallace pulled a goal back for Preston late on.

Leeds 2 – Cheltenham 0 (League One, February 21, 2009) Jonny Howson broke the deadlock after 54 minutes when he headed in Robinson’s right-wing cross before doubling Leeds’ advantage 11 minutes later after receiving a well-executed pass from Fabian Delph.