FA Cup: Liverpool & Everton line up another derby; Cardiff hold Arsenal to a replay; Swansea dump holders Pompey out

The draw for the 5th round of the FA Cup can be seen here.

Liverpool 1 – Everton 1 (FA Cup, January 25, 2009) (ITV highlights here.) Everton travelled to neighbours Liverpool for the second time in week in the final FA Cup tie of the round, and the blue half of Merseyside went mental when Tim Cahill (watch his sneaky run into the box from behind the goalline) headed a corner into Joleon Lescott who in turn steered home the opener. Early in the second half the Reds levelled, Torres skillfully played in Steven Gerrard and his shot beat Tim Howard embarrassingly at his near post.

Cardiff 0 – Arsenal 0 (FA Cup, January 25, 2009) (ITV highlights here.) Cardiff took the cup tie to Arsenal in the first half creating a host of goal-scoring opportunities including seeing Ross McCormack miss with a header from Joe Ledley’s fine left-wing cross. (First half highlights here.) In the second half Robin van Persie steered a free-kick just wide of the post. Minutes before time Ross McCormack forced a fine save from Fabianski with a curling free-kick.

Portsmouth 0 – Swansea 2 (FA Cup, January 24, 2009) Swansea took a 27th minute lead as Jason Scotland played a high through ball for on-loan Nathan Dyer to beat David James with a fine strike. Scotland, excellent throughout, then put Swansea 2-up just before the break by converting a disputed penalty.

Hull 2 – Millwall 0 (FA Cup, January 24, 2009) The Tigers made the last 16 thanks to a first half header from Michael Turner and a second half cracker from Ian Ashbee, although the game made the headlines for all the wrong reasons as violence broke out in the stands.

West Brom 2 – Burnley 2 (FA Cup, January 24, 2009) Graham Alexander’s spot-kick had put Burnley ahead but goals from Robert Koren and Kim Do-Heon looked to have clinched victory for Tony Mowbray’s side. But then with a minute remaining, Martin Paterson converted a low cross from Alexander to force a replay at Turf Moor.

Wolves 1 – Middlesbrough 2 (FA Cup, January 24, 2009) Boro moved ahead after a deft finish from Afonso Alves on the stroke of halftime, but Wolves hit back through Sam Vokes’ with a towering header from Dave Edwards’ cross. Marvin Emnes came off the bench to score the winner four minutes from time.

Watford 4 – Crystal Palace 3 (FA Cup, January 24, 2009) Jay DeMerit volleyed home from a corner before Jack Cork scored a header to give the Hornets a 2-nil lead. Clint Hill’s header early in the second half dragged the Eagles back into it but strikers Will Hoskins and Grzegorz Rasiak both found the net to put Watford out of sight. But it was a nervy ending as Phil Ifill hit a late brace for Palace.

Torquay 0 – Coventry 1 (FA Cup, January 24, 2009) Elliott Ward headed home Daniel Fox’s corner in the 87th minute to avoid the embarrassment of a replay against a team three tiers below City.

Sheffield United 2 – Charlton 1 (FA Cup, January 24, 2009) Blades striker Danny Webber caught keeper Rob Elliott off his line as he drilled an opportunistic shot into the top corner to open the scoring. Lee Hendrie’s deflected free-kick doubled the advantage, Chris Dickson pulling back a consolation for the Addicks.

Sunderland 0 – Blackburn 0 (FA Cup, January 24, 2009) Morten Gamst Pedersen went closest for Rovers but his goalbound effort cleared off the line by Pascal Chimbonda.