FA Cup 3rd round: Forest dump mega-bucks City out of the Cup; Riera & Torres see Liverpool through at Deepdale; RVP’s brace downs Plymouth; Derby win a 7-goal thriller

Highlights from Macclesfield-Everton, Hull-Newcastle, Forest Green-Derby, Arsenal-Plymouth and Preston-Liverpool can be seen here.

Manchester City 0 – Nottingham Forest 3 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) The so-called richest club in the world fell to Championship Forest in one of the main FA Cup shocks of the day. Nathan Tyson (fabulous volley) and Rob Earnshaw had first half goals for Forest and Joe Garner (shocking defending) scored in the 75th minute to complete an embarrassing defeat for City,

Preston 0 – Liverpool 2 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) (Longer highlights here.) Albert Riera arrowed a great effort into the top corner to give Liverpool the lead midway through the first half at Deepdale. Deep into injury-time of the game, man of the moment Steven Gerrard teed up Fernando Torres for the second. (First half highlights here, second half highlights here.)

Arsenal 3 – Plymouth 1 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Arsenal battered away at the Plymouth goal in the first half (highlights here) without finding the breakthrough. After the break the match came to life, Robin van Persie headed home Nasri’s cross before a van Persie cross was turned into his own net from David Gray. Karl Duguid pulled a goal back for the Pirates before van Persie bagged his brace five minutes from time.

Chelsea 1 – Southend 1 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Salomon Kalou gave Chelsea the lead in the 31st minute but the Blues never added a second, and were made to pay when Peter Clarke scored in injury time to force a replay.

Hartlepool 2 – Stoke 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Hartlepool went ahead early in the second half when Michael Nelson scored with a header before David Foley made it 2-0 with a 30-yard beauty in the 76th minute.

Sheffield Wednesday 1 – Fulham 2 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Andy Johnson scored after only 11 minutes at Hillsbrough but a wonder goal from Tommy Spurr brought the hosts level. Johnson then won the match for Fulham striking three minutes from time.

Macclesfield 0 – Everton 1 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Everton took the lead on the stroke of halftime at Macclesfield when Leon Osman scored a stunning volley that rocketed into the net off the underside of the bar.

Forest Green 3 – Derby 4 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Non-league Forest Green took a brilliant 2-nil lead over Championship Derby, Jonathan Smith struck a FA Cup special from 25-yards before Alex Lawless broke free to double the advantage. But back came the Rams, Rob Hulse headed a goal back in the 39th minute and Martin Albrechtsen nodded in the equaliser in injury time at the end of the half. (First half goals here.) In the 72nd minute Paul Stonehouse put the hosts ahead. But Derby rallied with goals from Paul Green and a Steve Davies penalty.

West Ham 3 – Barnsley 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Herita Ilunga’s first goal for West Ham, a penalty from Mark Noble and a third from Carlton Cole (3 goals in 3 games) gave the Hammers safe passage through to round four.

West Brom 1 – Peterborough 1 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Jonas Olsson’s second half goal looked to be good enough to send Baggies through but with three minutes remaining Craig Mackail-Smith scored a late leveller for the Posh.

Sunderland 2 – Bolton 1 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Sunderland’s strikers Kenwyne Jones (terrible celebration) and Djibril Cisse (a fine volley, but another terrible celebration) both scored second half goals for the Black Cats. Bolton’s Polish striker Ebi Smolarek scored a deflected lob for the visitors.

Portsmouth 0 – Bristol City 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) The FA Cup holders Pompey could only draw with Championship side Bristol City.

Torquay 1 – Blackpool 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Championship side Blackpool were dumped out of the cup by Conference club Torquay as Matthew Green’s goal just past the half hour mark ensured the upset.

Watford 1 – Scunthorpe 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) A Jobi McAnuff corner was met by the unmarked Adrian Mariappa to see the Hornets through.

Kettering 2 – Eastwood 1 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Kettering won the battle of the non-league sides with goals from Craig Westcarr and Gareth Seddon. Paul Robinson scored for Eastwood.

Middlesbrough 2 – Barrow 1 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Afonso Alves ended a barren run in front of goal with his first in nine games. After the interval Alves grabbed his second of the afternoon with Jason Walker’s late goal nothing more than a consolation.

Ipswich 3 – Chesterfield 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009)

Coventry 2 – Kidderminster 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Leon McKenzie and Leon Best goals were enough for Chris Coleman’s side.

Leicester 0 – Crystal Palace 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009)

Charlton 1 – Norwich 1 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Phil Parkinson’s first game in charge for the Addicks began well with 16-year-old Jonjo Shelvey thumping home Hameur Bouazza’s cross. Arturo Lupoli fired in the equaliser following good work from Wes Hoolahan.

Cardiff 2 – Reading 0 (FA Cup, January 3, 2009) Last year’s beaten finalists Cardiff progressed to the next round courtesy of goals from Ross McCormack and Joe Ledley.