Champions League: Arsenal outclass Celtic; APOEL’s comeback sinks Copenhagen; Fiorentina edge Sporting on away goals; Tottenham hit five at Doncaster

Arsenal 3 – Celtic 1 (Agg. 5-1) (Champions League, August 26, 2009) Eduardo put the Gunners in front just before the half hour from the penalty spot after the Croatian took a dive in the Celtic box. (First half highlights here, extended highlights here.) Arsenal extended their lead early in the second half as Emmanuel Eboue swept in the second of the night from another free-flowing Arsenal attack. With the Gunners cruising Wenger brought on Andrei Arshavin, and within two minutes of his introduction the Russian opened his account for the season with a tidy shot past Boruc. Celtic finally got on the scoreboard in injury time, Massimo Donati scoring the goal of the night with a back-post volley that flew across Almunia.

APOEL Nicosia 3 – FC Copenhagen 1 (Agg. 3-2) (Champions League, August 26, 2009) Trailing 1-0 from the first leg, APOEL Nicosia turned the tie on its head within 18 minutes thanks to goals from Kamil Koswoski and Chrysis Michael (penalty). Dame Ndoye brought the tie all square again on 22 minutes, but the Cypriots restored their 2-goal cushion before the break as Chrysis Michael scored a brilliant diving header for the hosts.

Fiorentina 1* – Sporting Lisbon 1 (Agg. 3-3) (Champions League, August 26, 2009) Joao Moutinho handed Sporting the advantage in Fiorentina with a super free-kick that curled into the top corner. (First half highlights here.) The Viola levelled ten minutes into the second half as Stevan Jovetic collected a cross at the back post, steadied himself, and fired low inside the near post.

Olympiakos 1 – FC Sheriff 0 (Agg. 3-0) (Champions League, August 26, 2009) The Greeks killed the tie eight minutes from time when Kostas Mitroglou tapped in from close range after the hosts got behind the Sheriff defence.

Stuttgart 0 – FC Timisoara 0 (Agg. 2-0) (Champions League, August 26, 2009) Markus Babbel’s side had effectively done all of the hard work in Romania a week ago and spent 90 minutes controlling their advantage against a timid Timisoara side.


Doncaster 1 – Tottenham 5 (Carling Cup, August 26, 2009) After the home side had some early chances Spurs took control with goals from Tom Huddlestone, Jamie O’Hara and Peter Crouch. After the break David Bentley extended the lead, Martin Woods pulled one back for Doncaster from the penalty spot but Roman Pavlyuchenko responded with the fifth.

Blackpool 4 – Wigan 1 (Carling Cup, August 26, 2009) Ishmel Demontagnac set Blackpool on their way with his first goal for the club after just three minutes and Ben Burgess added a second on 19 minutes before Charlie Adam got in on the act on 33 minutes when he scored from a rebound after his penalty was saved by Mike Pollitt. Substitute Gary Taylor-Fletcher added a fourth for Blackpool on 67 minutes before debutant Antonio Amaya grabbed a last-minute consolation for Wigan.

West Brom 4 – Rotherham 3 (Carling Cup, August 26, 2009) Craig Beattie fired West Brom in front after just ten minutes only for Michael Cummins to draw Rotherham level on 29 minutes. Graham Dorrans restored West Brom’s lead six minutes into the second half, but Tom Pope forced the game into extra time with a 52nd minute leveller. Pope gave Rotherham the lead for the first time in the game eight minutes into extra time, but Beattie responded with his second of the night three minutes later. Cox grabbed the winner for the Baggies with his first goal for the club four minutes from the end of extra time.

Leyton Orient 0 – Stoke 1 (AET) (Carling Cup, August 26, 2009) Stoke needed extra time to beat League One Leyton Orient with Dave Kitson’s first goal for the club giving the Premier League side a 1-0 win at Brisbane Road.

Newcastle 4 – Huddersfield 3 (Carling Cup, August 26, 2009) Danny Guthrie gave Newcastle the lead on 36 minutes, but two goals in two minutes from Theo Robinson (37, 39) the second from the penalty spot turned the game on its head. Jordan Rhodes added a third two minutes after the break, but Geremi reduced the arrears 60 seconds later. Shola Ameobi drew Newcastle level from the penalty spot on 64 minutes and Kevin Nolan popped up with the winner six minutes from time to consign former Magpies star Lee Clark to defeat on his return to Tyneside.

Nottingham Forest 2 – Middlesbrough 1 (AET) (Carling Cup, August 25, 2009) Adam Johnson’s shot gave Middlesbrough a 43rd minute lead but Luke Chambers levelled after the break. Radoslaw Majewski sent Forest through with an extra-time winner.

Tranmere 0 – Bolton 1 (Carling Cup, August 25, 2009) Mark Davies bagged his first goal for Bolton as the Premier League outfit reached the Carling Cup third round.


Atletico Mineiro 1 – Goias 1 (Copa Sudamericana, August 26, 2009) Tcho put Atletico Mineiro ahead in the 59th minute but Felipe equalised with a penalty with nine minutes remaining.

Flamengo 1 – Fluminense 1* (Agg. 1-1) (Copa Sudamericana, August 26, 2009) After a goalless first leg last week, Renato Gaucho’s Fluminense grabbed the crucial advantage thanks to a penalty from Roni during injury time at the end of the first half. Flamengo’s hopes were kept alive when Denis Marques equalised 15 minutes into the second half. However, their chances receded when defender David was sent off in the 82nd minute for grabbing Kieza’s shirt.


Santos 3 – Internacional 3 (Campeonato Brasileiro, August 26, 2009) Alecsandro was the hero for Internacional scoring a hat-trick in the thrilling match that included three red cards.

Barueri 2 – Corinthians 2 (Campeonato Brasileiro, August 26, 2009)


DC United 1 – Toluca 3 (CONCACAF Champions League, August 26, 2009) Chris Pontius scored the equaliser for United early in the second half, after Vladimir Marin gave Toluca the lead in the 5th minute of the game. But a late brace from Hector Mancilla handed Toluca victory.

Cruz Azul 5 – Columbus Crew 0 (CONCACAF Champions League, August 26, 2009) After Ramon Nunez crashed home an opener after three minutes, Jaime Lozano scored twice as Cruz Azul hammered Columbus in Mexico City.