While this list is compiled to celebrate the best strikes from around the world in the past seven days, sometimes it’s necessary to draw attention to those less fortunate players who suffered in the past week of football.
First up is Adelaide United’s Robert Cornthwaite (1.35 secs in), who scored a horrific own-goal against Kashima Antlers in the Asian Champions League, slicing past his own keeper when under no pressure whatsoever. And secondly there is Fiorentina’s Luciano Zauri, the unfortunate soul who, while writhing around in injury, kept the Lyon strikers onside and allowed Frederic Piquionne to score in the Champions League.
With that being said, there is a fine selection of strikes to choose from this week, with goals from distance being the common theme in our list. Almost every goal in the top 13 was converted from outside the box, whether from a set-play or open-play, so sit back and enjoy the rip-snorters hit the back of the net. If you think we have missed a goal, please let us know.
1. Steven Gerrard (vÂ Marseille, Sept. 16, 2008)
2. Fernandinho (v Basel, Sept. 16, 2008)
4. Alessandro Del Piero (v Zenit St. Petersburg, Sept. 17, 2008)
5. Robbie Rogers (v New York Red Bulls, Sept. 18, 2008)
6. Segundo Castillo (v Standard Liege, Sept. 18, 2008)
7. Dusan Djuric (v AC Milan, Sept. 18, 2008) (pictured)
8. Terry McFlynn & Brendon Santalab (v Adelaide United, Sept. 20, 2008) (goals after 0.15 secs and 2.11 secs respectively)
9. Andreas Ivanschitz (v Aris, Sept. 20, 2008)
10. Maicon Douglas Sisenando (v Torino, Sept. 21, 2008)
11. Gianluca Zambrotta (v Lazio, Sept. 21, 2008)
12. Kaka (v Lazio, Sept. 21, 2008)
13. Mouhamadou Dabo (v PSG, Sept. 21, 2008)
Narrowly missing out on this week’s list were the following goals, which are also well worth a look: Maximilian Nicu (first goal on the video), Petter Villegas and Kendall Jagdeosingh, Klodian Duro, Lucho Gonzalez, Piotr Giza, Landon Donovan, Andre Pierre Gignac, and Mesut Ozil.