You don’t always need to be a brilliant goalscorer to hit the back of the net. That point was proved in the last seven days by some shocking mistakes from goalies who should have known better. Firstly there was Jens Lehmann’s cock-up for Stuttgart against Cherno More Varna in the UEFA Cup. And that was followed by Kalmar’s Petter Wasta, who looked like he had oil on his gloves as he let the first of Feyenoord’s two goals embarrassingly slip through his grasp.
Yet, rather than focusing on the negatives, Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s goal (goal 7) made mouths water this weekend. As described by Susy Campanale, “It looked for all the world like a taekwondo move, the martial art Zlatan practised as a young man. The power and control in the way the leg snapped back was not something often seen on a football field.”
In this week’s list watch out for stunning volleys (goals 1 & 5), sublime individual skills (goals 3, 4 & 6), some cracking free-kicks (goals 2, 8, 9, 10 &13) with an overhead-kick (goal 11) and a long distance cracker (goal 12) thrown in for good measure.
As always, sit back and enjoy!
1. Conor Clifford (v Ipswich U17, Sept. 28, 2008) (second goal on the video)
2.Â Steven Gerrard (v PSV, Oct. 1, 2008)
3. Franco Zuculini (v Rosario Central, Oct. 3, 2008) (first goal on the video)
4. Terror Fanteni (v Maccabi Petah Tikva, Oct. 4, 2008)
5. Christian Trasch (v Werder Bremen, Oct. 4, 2008)
6. Teemu Pukki (v Real Sociedad, Oct. 4, 2008)
7. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (v Bologna, Oct. 4, 2008)
8. Javier Garrido (v Liverpool, Oct. 5, 2008)
9. Geovanni (v Tottenham, Oct. 5, 2008)
10. Matthew Taylor (v West Ham, Oct. 5, 2008)
11. Peter Crouch (v Stoke, Oct. 5, 2008)
12. Mickael Pagis (v Lyon, Oct. 5, 2008)
13. Bruno Alves (v Sporting Lisbon, Oct. 5, 2008)
Narrowly missing this weekâ€™s cut were the following: Braga, Marcos Senna, Dimitar Berbatov, Maicon Douglas Sisenando, Bafetimbi Gomis, Pedro Morales, Ribas da Cunha, Maxi Rodriguez, Thierry Henry, Grant Leadbitter, Stephen McGinn, and Klaas Jan Huntelaar.