For only the third time ever, FIFA have released the Puskas Award nominees for 2011.
The following list contains the top 10 goals scored in the calendar year and they will compete for the Puskas Award which was established for the first time in 2009.
Previous winners include Cristiano Ronaldo (2009) and Hamit Altintop (2010).
Fifa say “Every goal has been chosen for its aesthetic quality and the importance of the match in which it was scored, as well as the absence of luck or mistakes by the opposing team. Fair play and the date of the goal were also deciding factors. The result is a shortlist containing everything from solo efforts and long-range strikes, to lobs, volleys and spectacular scissor-kicks.”
Accordingly, the nominees for the 2011Â Puskas Award are as follows:
1. Benjamin de Ceulaer (Lokeren) v Club Brugge
2. Giovani dos Santos (Mexico) vs United States
3. Julio Gomez (Mexico U17) v Germany U17
4. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (ACÂ Milan) vs Lecce
5.Â Lisandro Lopez (Arsenal Sarandi) vs Olimpo
6. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) v Arsenal
7.Â Neymar (Santos) vÂ Flamengo
8.Â Heather O’Reilly (United States) v Colombia
9. Wayne Rooney (Manchester United) v Manchester City
10. Dejan Stankovic (Inter Milan) vÂ Schalke