The headline story in Portuguese paper O Jogo on Sunday centred on Manchester United and Monaco target William Carvalho.
Less than two months ago the Red Devils were said to have close of the Portuguese starlet after the “Sporting Lisbon defensive midfielder’s agent was given a tour of the club’s Carrington training ground last week”, according to the People.
It was also stated that “the Angolan-born 21-year-old has a £37m release clause in his contract which United are prepared to trigger before the World Cup begins on June 12.”
Then last week, French daily L’Equipe reported that Monaco are first in the queue to sign Carvalho.
L’Equipe said Monaco are chasing William Carvalho having all-but secured Leonardo Jardim to be their new manager – from Sporting Lisbon.
Now Sporting are ready to fight back.
In a desperate attempt to keep William Carvalho in Lisbon, O Jogo report that the club have offered the player a wage hike, tripling his salary. Currently on €10,000 a week, Carvalho has been offered €30,000 a week, or €360,000 a year.
Moreover, Sporting are not forcing any contract extension on Carvalho (his deal ends in 2018), nor are the trying to remove his release clause of €45 million.