As the final day of the January transfer window goes on, and with Fernando Torres apparently inching ever closer to a 50 million pound move to Chelsea, it seems a pertinent time to reflect on El Nino’s stunning spell at Anfield.
A record of 65 goals in 102 games stands up by anyone’s standard, especially when you throw in the fact that Torres has spent the last year or so carrying an injury.
To sum up three-and-a-half seasons at Liverpool here are, in our opinion, his top 10 goals. Chelsea fans should be excited!
(And if Torres doesn’t make the move by 11pm tonight, Liverpool fans can console themselves that this is what he could still do for Kenny Dalglish’s side…)
1. Fernando Torres v Blackburn, April 11, 2009. The perfect illustration of Torres’ immense quality as he chested the ball down and hit an unstoppable shot past Paul Robinson to score the first in a 4-0 win. Undoubtedly El Nino’s best goal in a red shirt.
2. Fernando Torres v Sunderland, March 28, 2010. A terrific strike in front of the Kop from a hugely difficult angle. A goal that came in Rafa Benitez’s last season at the club when Torres had a lot of injury problems.
3. Fernando Torres v Marseille, December 11, 2007. A magnificent solo goal in the Stade Velodrome on the way to a 4-0 win at Marseille in the Champions League. A true illustration of how easily Torres can beat defenders when fully fit.
4. Fernando Torres v Manchester United, March 14, 2009. Arguably Torres’ most famous goal for Liverpool and Nemanja Vidic is probably still having nightmares about facing the Spanish striker. El Nino simply bullied probably the strongest defender in the division and finished with ease.
5. Fernando Torres v Arsenal, April 8, 2008. An absolute rocket into the top corner coming at a crucial time in a Champions League quarter-final second leg. Liverpool would win 5-3 on aggregate thanks to two late goals following some Theo Walcott magic.
6. Fernando Torres v Chelsea, November 7, 2010. Ironically, Torres loves playing against Chelsea having notched six goals in five matches versus the Blues at Anfield. His last goal, coming just a couple of months ago, was his best as he claimed a brace in a 2-0 victory.
7. Fernando Torres v Real Madrid, March 10, 2009. A simple flick past international team mate Iker Casillas must have meant a lot to Torres who came through the ranks at Atletico Madrid. Proof that he can produce on the big stage and set Liverpool on the way to a second leg 4-0 victory, 5-0 on aggregate.
8.Â Fernando Torres v Chelsea, August 19, 2007. Sixteen minutes into his first game against Chelsea, El Nino skinned Tal Ben Haim down the left hand channel and curled past Cech.
9.Â Fernando Torres v Derby, December 26, 2007. Derby were the whipping boys and it was still Torres’ first season where he blitzed the Premier League. Two Rams defenders were beaten and a sublime finish completed a fine goal.
10. Steven Gerrard v Bolton, November 15, 2008. Stevie G set up countless goals for Torres but this was an illustration of just how good the Spaniard is at hold up play and the final ball with a superb outside of the foot cross.